Cattle Forum > Cattle Raising Forums > Breeding and Calving >

First time heifer calving

Old 04-03-2015, 02:18 AM   #1
Hereford_Show_Girl

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default First time heifer calving

My heifer is having her first calf, and I only have experience in cows with fully developed udder. She should be due any day. She is extremely loose in the back end, but couldn't get good pictures of it. About a week ago you could barely see her udder, now it is fully visible. Can anybody help me out with how soon she may calve? First time heifer calving - Breeding and CalvingFirst time heifer calving - Breeding and CalvingFirst time heifer calving - Breeding and Calving

Old 04-04-2015, 06:48 AM   #2
saskcattle

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Heifers can be loose in the back end and bag up a long time before they calve. In the picture of her bag from what I see her bag isn't tight or full but she definitely is getting close. Could be a week or two is my guess but Hard to tell without actually seeing the heifer in person.

Old 04-04-2015, 07:51 AM   #3
Hereford_Show_Girl

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thank you for the reply! (:

Old 02-06-2017, 02:05 AM   #4
nickname

Hi guys not sure if I'm on the right forum but having trouble I have a heifer she had a calf I had to pull it out it was dead she had a lot of trouble she cant get up I put her on a sled got her to the.barn the vet says she has a pinched nerve she gave me banamine oncce a day

Old 02-06-2017, 02:08 AM   #5
nickname

It's been 5 days she still can't move her back legs I work with her every day I lift her with the hip clamps to help she's eating and drinking alert just can't move her back legs my question is am I wasting my time

Old 02-20-2017, 03:30 AM   #6
farmerjan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickname View Post
It's been 5 days she still can't move her back legs I work with her every day I lift her with the hip clamps to help she's eating and drinking alert just can't move her back legs my question is am I wasting my time
It's a good chance she will not get up but....do you have any vets that are skilled in "chiropractic" ? Got one here that has done wonders for a couple of cows that had paralysis from calving. And I have had them go for nearly 2 weeks until the swelling in the nerve area goes down then get up. The hip lift is not helping her as it is putting pressure on the area that is paralyzed. We try to use a sling and get them up just high enough to put the feet on the ground. It's a tough call.