Behaviour electric fence

Discussion in 'Behavior and Heard Management' started by ganaderoo, Mar 8, 2015.

1. ganaderoo

ganaderoo New Member

Whats your experience on this?

Did it get used to it? How many times a week month day??? How many cows??? ....???

Its all a discusion here

2. SupaDexta

SupaDexta Cattleman

Mine learn as calves and then try and avoid it the rest of their lives.

3. DoubleR

DoubleR Repro Lover

Our leave or be until it's off for some reason. Then it's a destructive free for all! Lol!
    They do respect it when it's on. Well worth having if you can upkeep it.

4. Townline-Angus

Townline-Angus New Member

Electric is the best until the power goes out. They seem to realize it's off fairly quick and when the one does and goes through, the rest will follow. I use barbed wire and electric with the long stand offs. The electric is to keep them from pushing on the barbed wire and getting out. It works great as long as you keep the electric far enough away from the barbed wire so the wind doesn't blow hard enough to get them tangled together shorting out the electric. If it does, then it becomes a major chore walking the fence to untangle it everywhere.

5. cotopaxi14

cotopaxi14 New Member

My wife had one of her horses run right through it the first time we tried it.

6. jonchrs1

jonchrs1 New Member

A good fence should keep your livestock in; last 25 to 30 years without major rebuilding, repair, or replacement; and be low cost and easy to build. The cost of most fences is half labor and half materials. For a truly low-cost fence, use only high-quality, long-life materials. The most critical element of an electric fence is maintaining an adequate voltage charge. To learn more about electric fencing read our web site www.gallagherelectricfencing.com

7. Shelby11

Shelby11 New Member

My cows have mites what should I do

8. savannahh

savannahh New Member

@shelby11 there is a pesticide called cylence. Gets rid of all bugs flies. Everything. Just try that if it doesn't work then you would have to try talking to the vet

9. tnsalersbreeder

tnsalersbreeder Cattle GURU!

Hit em with ivermectin pour on de wormer. It'll kill lice to.