Calving Record Keeping Systems

Discussion in 'Breeding and Calving' started by RanchWife, Jan 30, 2014.

1. RanchWife

RanchWife New Member

So for me, calving season is right around the corner and I thought it would be interesting to share our calf record system and see ways others do it!

Basically as calves are born, we go to tag and vaccinate and record date, dam, sex, and then I record a score for temperament, calving ease, and a column for disposal ( sold, or died at birth, ect.) i also leave note space if one needs to be grafted so I can trace it back.
    ImageUploadedByCattle Forum1391135899.867122.jpg
    ImageUploadedByCattle Forum1391135948.115078.jpg

Ricky'sMomma likes this.
  2. Fairfarmhand

Fairfarmhand New Member

Pretty good!

Our vet says that the best herd management tool is a pencil and paper!

My dh uses a software designed by the University of TN. We do registered stock, so being able to keep track of bloodlines, weights, calving ease, heat days, AI days, etc. helps so much.

3. DoubleR

DoubleR Repro Lover

We use CattleMax software. Have for many years now. We have to keep track of AI dates, genetics, weights etc. Got to be to much of a pain for paper and a pen. :)

4. singhran

singhran New Member

I cannot understand the screenshot. Also, about software, can you give me the link wherefrom I can download before I startup my farming

5. Fairfarmhand

Fairfarmhand New Member

http://economics.ag.utk.edu/firm.html

However, until you really get into farming with lots of cows, it may be overkill. My dh didn't buy his until last year,\.

Just keep a notebook with a listing of your cows. Write down when they calved and any notes about that (if they needed assistance, etc.), an estimate of their calf's weight, the vaccines you gave them and when, and when you put the bull in with them. If you observe heat, you can record and track that. For the first few years, unless you're doing registered animals, that's all you need.

6. rene

rene New Member

This is something I was looking into registered Jersys and angus

7. rene

rene New Member

What is grafted?

8. RanchWife

RanchWife New Member

When a cow loses her calf and another one is "grafted" I.e. Put on a new cow. For example, a heifer calved and lost her calf. Awhile earlier a cow had twins, we will skin the dead the calf, tie the hide on one of the twin, and "graft" the calf to the heifer.

www.calving2014.wordpress.com

9. tq1220

tq1220 New Member

A little off topic but what is a good age to start breeding my heifers?

10. rene

rene New Member

My opinion by weight

11. kbritton

kbritton New Member

HerdOne (www.herdone.com) is a web-based livestock management application that I have been using. It has an updated interface and has many features included with it. It handles all livestock types and I can track vaccination, health, breeding, and offspring history with it. It also handles sales, purchases, and expense tracking which is very beneficial for tax season. The reporting section provides me with views of my cattle data which help me make many of my operational decisions. They also offer a free 30 day trial to see if you like its features.

12. Ricky'sMomma

Ricky'sMomma New Member

We use a simple calving booklet to keep track of our calves. Our operation isn't very big so this has worked well for us.