Calving

Discussion in 'Breeding and Calving' started by Hereford_Show_Girl, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Hereford_Show_Girl

Hereford_Show_Girl New Member

Hey guys! I have a 8 year old cow that is. Due feb 4th, but I checked and her tailbone has dropped and her rear end is jiggly.. I was told that it means that she is getting closer to calving? Is that true? Should I be watching her?

2. DoubleR

DoubleR Repro Lover

Does she have any udder yet? Some cows will start softening a month or more early. What's her udder and teats look like?

3. Hereford_Show_Girl

Her udder is so hairy that its hard to tell, but it looks to be filling up slightly..

4. DoubleR

DoubleR Repro Lover

Lol! I have a 1st time heifer that's going way before our normal herd calves. Being I don't have a bred date on her (bred by bull at the ranch she came from) I'm watching her like a hawk.
    Her udder is SO hairy also! :D Makes it hard to tell how developed and full her udder is. I keep being tempted to put her threw the chute an clip it. Helps with cleanliness for the new calf as well.
    Keep an eye on her udder and teats. Generally (but definitely not always) there bag will get full along with the teats.
    Sounds like she's progressing but probably still has a little while.

5. DoubleR

DoubleR Repro Lover

Maybe we'll have 2 successful deliveries at the same time ;)

6. Fairfarmhand

Fairfarmhand New Member

Its harder to tell with beef cows. Heifers can start developing an udder 6-8 weeks before they calve. If she's due the 4th, I'd start checking on her 2 times a day, since 10 days either side of the due date is considered full term.

Sure fire way of telling is when her teats fill up. If they go from skinny to full and squishy she's VERY close. Like withing 2 or 3 days at the most/.

7. Fairfarmhand

Fairfarmhand New Member

Post some pictures and I'll tell you what I think.

8. DoubleR

DoubleR Repro Lover

Yes Vulva, udder and rear (pins etc)

9. Hereford_Show_Girl

ImageUploadedByCattle Forum1390441320.809492.jpg ImageUploadedByCattle Forum1390441334.815373.jpg this is the picture of her utter and back end

10. Fairfarmhand

Fairfarmhand New Member

11. DoubleR

DoubleR Repro Lover

I agree. You've got a while.

12. Hereford_Show_Girl

ImageUploadedByCattle Forum1390955583.003645.jpg ImageUploadedByCattle Forum1390955600.560091.jpg ImageUploadedByCattle Forum1390955616.156271.jpg ImageUploadedByCattle Forum1390955632.906397.jpg opinions? Do you think she is getting closer? She is due in 8 days. Sorry if I'm being annoying, I'm just so excited.:)

13. Fairfarmhand

Fairfarmhand New Member

She is getting closer but not quite there. Still needs lots of saggy folds.

Her teats will be strutted out in the final day or 2 before. Think like a rubber glove filled with water.

14. DoubleR

DoubleR Repro Lover

I still think you got a little while.
    My heifer looks like the calf will fall out she's so loose and she's had a full udder for several days. Hubby call them missile ta ta's ;) lol! Still no calf.