Chickens

Discussion in 'Other Pets and Livestock' started by cattle, Oct 9, 2013.

1. cattle

cattle Administrator Staff Member

I kept a small flock up till a few months ago. My neighbor has 50+ malnourished chickens, so I gave mine to a friend to take help take care of my neighbors.

I really only kept them for the eggs, which I now have to many of.

Does anyone raise chickens?

2. SuzyDaniels

SuzyDaniels New Member

I keep a couple of dozen. I love my chickies.

What breed are the one's you are taking care of?

3. Flywheel

Flywheel New Member

My wife keeps ours. Not sure how many we got. I would guess most folks raising cattle also raise chickens.

4. cattle

All varieties. They even have silkies.

5. Flywheel

Flywheel New Member

I don't know why that's such a popular breed. Do you?

6. cattle

They don't look like typical chickens. That's about all I can tell. I like them for that reason.

7. GrumpyFarms

GrumpyFarms New Member

We raise Lg Buff Orphington chickens. We love there eggs. We also raise pekin and Indian runner ducks. Their eggs are very big and very good. From early spring to mid fall we are covered up in eggs. We like to donate as many as we can to some of the elderly people around town and just this past year started giving them to a battered woman's shelter we found. If you ask around I'm sure you'll find some people in need that would love farm fresh eggs.

Ps. Duck eggs are harder to get rid of because people do know you can eat them or they think it's weird, bug my wife bakes a lot and duck eggs in a cake will make it way more fluffy and taste great.

Grumpy
    GrumpyFarm in Tn

8. Megan

Megan New Member

Austin what are you doing with the extra eggs?

and silkies , do they look like this photo I found on the internet? Looks as if they have hair instead of feathers.

They are pretty chickens

Attached Files:

9. GrumpyFarms

GrumpyFarms New Member

ImageUploadedByCattle Forum1387859068.643279.jpg ImageUploadedByCattle Forum1387859081.675697.jpg

As you can see, we got a ton of rain. Over filled our pond. Almost got up to the barn. The chickens are not happy with all this rain and cold. The ducks love it. Grumpy.....

10. RanchWife

RanchWife New Member

Sell them as a specialty, I've heard from a lot of places the key to a perfect pecan pie is fresh duck eggs. Just sell them as
    Pecan pie eggs.

11. GrumpyFarms

GrumpyFarms New Member

My wife sent me this comic. At least now we know why the chicken crossed the road. I'd be able to tell a crappy store bought egg from one of my farm fresh chicken or duck eggs.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  12. GrumpyFarms

GrumpyFarms New Member

ImageUploadedByCattle Forum1391403294.362937.jpg this is what I tried posting to the above post.

13. RanchWife

RanchWife New Member

Hahaha! You know even their "brown organic" eggs in the store aren't the same. I got chickens, well two. And after having them I can't go back to crappy thin shelled store eggs. Not the same at all!

14. Krooked_S

Krooked_S New Member

I have been to a egg farm to deliver a electric motor one day and couldn't find anyone so I looked around for a few minutes. They had about 20 or so different store egg cartons white to brown funny thing is they all come from same farm

15. GrumpyFarms

GrumpyFarms New Member

That is weirded, go figure that the stores try to fake people out with their garbage eggs. Thanks for you info.

16. rene

rene New Member

I raise free range game chikens .they good about folwing the cow herd eating grains in the manure so they spread manure in the fields. I got them to lay their eggs in a lil coop. But I got traps for coons and possum. Somtimes fox or skunk. Very rarely a coyote will come to the house for a chiken but its happened, at which clik clik bang. Guinea are very good alarm and they also go after snakes.

17. TerriPQ

TerriPQ New Member

I only have 4 hens, but they give us enough eggs for my family of 3. Every weekend I make deviled eggs to use up the eggs that are more than a few days old.

Honestly, if I had wanted to eat old eggs, I would use store-bought!

18. cowfarmer

cowfarmer New Member

One reason silkies are famous because there good mothers

19. Shelby11

Shelby11 New Member