Coyotes

Discussion in 'Parasites, Pests, & Predators' started by DeWayne, Oct 15, 2013.

1. DeWayne

DeWayne New Member

Do coyotes in mass present a threat to a full grown cow?

2. cattle

cattle Administrator Staff Member

Not typically. Are you have a yote issue?

3. Flywheel

Flywheel New Member

Not full grown, but yes for a calf. Are you seeing a population boom in your area? If so they will be hungry. Make sure all your animals are secured by dawn to prevent loss.

4. marquiseb

marquiseb New Member

In my area of Alberta we get coyotes harassing the calves or the weak and sick. They are opportunists and will take whatever they can get for the lowest risk of self-injury. Calving time is especially bad, they come in looking for the afterbirth.

5. GrumpyFarms

GrumpyFarms New Member

The coyotes are very smart around here in east tn. They know to stay just out of reach of us. We've had them up on our porch. The only way they left us was when I shot them. Thankfully they just got our trash.

6. Angie

Angie New Member

Are yotes a consistent problem or did they go away for awhile and are coming back currently?

7. marquiseb

marquiseb New Member

My coyotes left for most if the summer but are now coming back because of the cold

8. GrumpyFarms

GrumpyFarms New Member

They make for great target practice.

9. cattle

They do, but the worse the winter the worse the coyote, so be careful and make sure you get them before they get you!

10. GrumpyFarms

GrumpyFarms New Member

And they will get very brave when food is short. Be careful.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  11. cattle

When I was a kid I had a friend who lived way out in the middle of nowhere. We knew they presented no real risk unless they approached the house. At that point we went inside.

12. dgeiger

dgeiger New Member

When they start getting close to the house is when they end up with a big hole in them. 22-250 is the best

13. colliverj

colliverj New Member

The gentleman that had our place kept a donkey with the cattle he said it worked for him. I see no issues so far with his concept.

14. hugheshill

hugheshill New Member

If the cow is calving then the coyotes will go up and almost help with the birth and drag the calf away but if the cow stays down the coyotes might kill her too.

15. cattle

I've been told coyotes fear them as they don't want to get stomped. Never seen it happen myself but I've heard stories.

That's a shame. Aren't most people there for the birthing to keep the coyotes at bay?

16. Fairfarmhand

Fairfarmhand New Member

Not in larger herds here in the South. Most people around here just wake up and TA DA! There's a calf!

I will go out with the kids and watch if it happens during the day. I love watching a cow give birth. It's such a miracle.

17. hugheshill

hugheshill New Member

We have dairy cows that are on pasture in summer and we haven't had problems but a friend of mine has had that happen many times with his beef cows out in open pasture

18. cattleman1253

cattleman1253 New Member

Llamas also work very well but if you do get more than one ( for 2 different herds for example) don't let them get to where they can see each other or they'll stay by the fences to look at each other

19. DoubleR

DoubleR Repro Lover

We have had many a time of running out in the middle of the night to panicking and stampeding cattle. Caused by a pack of coyotes. I've seen them taking on full grown momma cows. Similar to wolves but sloppy and not real synchronized.
    2 times in the last few weeks neighbors cattle have been run threw large portions of fence and scattered by coyotes. It's been a mess. Taken weeks to get all the cattle back to the appropriate ranches.
    Animal control has noticed a rise in stampeded cattle threw fences with obvious coyote evidence.
    We bring all calving cows up close to the house to prevent any issues involving coyotes. After the calves are moving well and strong enough to run away the pair returns to the herd.
    Our major problem (on top of severe drought) is grapes are being put in ALL OVER around the area. Humans have completely destroyed what habitat they had and tore out their den areas. They are hungry and understandably fighting for survival. Cattle pastures is about all they have left.
    We will shoot any that are taking animals in our herds but we try and let them be if they are leaving our stock alone. It's a sad situation. Many years ago we kept the populations in check but lived together just fine.

20. Megan

Megan New Member

These stories are really something. I would we very concerned about them if I lived in areas that you apparently do.

So the yotes are being run out and have to enroach to survive. There is part of me that feels a little sorry for them in this situation. Sorry until they both a rancher.