Do I have enough Acreage?

Discussion in 'Cattle Raising Forum' started by BrentnTX, Oct 9, 2013.

1. BrentnTX

BrentnTX New Member

My house is on 10 acres and I keep goats (10) and chickens (50).

If I setup a new pen for cattle, how many do you think I can support? As I said in my intro I'm really looking to just produce enough meat for one year at a time.

2. SuzyDaniels

SuzyDaniels New Member

You could easily keep a couple. Do you have a barn with open stalls?

3. Flywheel

Flywheel New Member

How much of that land is accessible? Does it have a bunch of trees? I'm asking to see if it's good grazing land.

4. Wardagri

Wardagri New Member

Get rid of goats 10 and keep cows 6

5. Haresteads_Bull_Beef

Haresteads_Bull_Beef New Member

Surely it depends on how much you plan to feed the cattle. We only farm 300 acre but run 900 sheep and 150 fattening cattle. Unfortunatly the corn truck comes every 9 days. But acreage isn't really important

6. hannahlou1998

hannahlou1998 New Member

A few, and it depends on your breed and how much of you pasture is trees! :)

7. Megan

Megan New Member

Can you have cows in a highly treed area?

8. Angie

Angie New Member

Hi everyone

Nice to meet each of you.

How much acreage does one need for these various breeds? Do some breeds need more per cow than another breed.?

9. dgeiger

dgeiger New Member

The rule of thumb is 5 acres per cow with good grass.

10. CROWEmtnFARMS

CROWEmtnFARMS New Member

5 acres? Gracious alife. You must not have good grass.

Different breeds require different amounts of intake. I raise angus, hereford and charlois at the moment and i try to stay around 2 acres a head and thats really to much in the growing season but allows me to not break the bank feeding hay thru the winter. They get hay but they dont need as much as they would. All the ol timers im around say an acre to acre1/2 per head. Just depends on ur climate and breed.

11. cattle

cattle Administrator Staff Member

How many acres are you on?

12. aidan

aidan New Member

2-3 acers per cow for a whole year per head at
    1200lb

13. DoubleR

DoubleR Repro Lover

It all depends on the breed of cattle and the area you live in. Some places are 1 cow to 1 acre others are 1 cow to 50 acres year round with no extra feeding.
    If you live in a state that has rain most of the year and lush green grass then you'll have more cattle per acre than states that have sagebrush and little grass.
    Irrigation or no irrigation. Snow 6 months of the year or no snow at all.
    Maybe a little better idea of your area, weather, do you plan on feeding or want feed growing on the ground year young.
    Are you talking about lactating and gestating females and a bull? I might have missed some of this info. I apologize if I have. :)

14. Bessie

Bessie New Member

This is interesting to see the differences in climate and type of pasture making such a big difference in number of acres needed per head.

So, that is why a state like TX has those big open spaces for herds of cattle? The scruffiness of it, and then back in a place like KY with lush green grass would not need as much room for the same number of cattle.

15. DBPMAINEANJOU

DBPMAINEANJOU New Member

do you plan to supplementry feed or just graze on your remainimg pasture if you only want to keep enough for your own consumption I would look at buying 1 growing it out a couple of months before it is due to be slaughtered get another so by the time you are running out of beef the next one is ready .I think you will have to supplementry feed unless you have great pasture..

16. Megan

Megan New Member

That buying one and then later another sounds like a really good idea to have meat for a longer amount of time but not needing that much freezer space.