First calf

Discussion in 'Breeding and Calving' started by Raywood, Nov 17, 2014.

1. Raywood

Raywood New Member

I have 2 droughtmaster cows that are due to calf soon but am unsure of when and one of them has started letting one of our weaned calves suck and he's getting milk so would this mean she's soon to give birth and does this normally happen ? As the other one who looks like she would drop first is not doing this but they are from different lines so just seeing weather I need to be watching her more if it's really close, any help would be appreciated ImageUploadedByCattle Forum1416255539.957081.jpg this is her

Rachel Pender

2. DoubleR

DoubleR Repro Lover

They can start to bag up a month or more in advance some times.
    You need to get that nursing calf separated off. He/she's steeling nutrients and depending on when she's going to calve that coming calves colostrum. This can lead to problems with the new calf.
    How does her rear look? Is she softening up and getting loose in the vulva? You can tell more about the coming calving by her rear than her udder. ImageUploadedByCattle Forum1416334702.977081.jpg You'll be looking for the changes in this photo along with softening/loosening of the vulva and surrounding tissue.

3. Raywood

Raywood New Member

I have separated the calf from her as he was filling him self off her, she's starting to look like her tail has really dropped quite low and her rear has become very large but theirs no mucas or anything yet,

Rachel Pender

4. DoubleR

DoubleR Repro Lover

Bad boy! ;)
    Is this a cow or heifer?
    Sounds like your getting closer. Sometimes you'll never see the mucus plug.

5. Raywood

Raywood New Member

She's over 2 so I believe it's a cow! And her first calf ! So will their be lots of mucas coming out before or is she likely to just give birth and I just come out and it's their ? It's like watching paint dry waiting for it to happen lol

Rachel Pender

6. Raywood

Raywood New Member

ImageUploadedByCattle Forum1416465656.869428.jpg ImageUploadedByCattle Forum1416465711.917104.jpg
    I have 2 pics first is of the cow I was asking about the other is of the other one who due to drop soon to, can you tell by these pics if they look ready or not, sorry in advance for the graphic pics but this seems to be the important end that I should be able to tell from! Thanks

Rachel Pender

7. DoubleR

DoubleR Repro Lover

Lol! Yes it is like watching paint dry.
    She would be considered a first calf heifer then. They become a cow once they've had their first calf.
    First calf heifers are tough. Some show every sign in the book to extremes weeks in advance and some you just come out and there's a calf. More than likely you'll watch religiously and when you finally give up and sleep you'll wake up to a calf. ;)
    The mucus plug will be a long string of, well, mucus! Lol! Won't last long as they swish it away with their tails.
    Look for huge teats, dropped pins, extremely loose vulva and surrounding tissue. They also tend to get a dip in their back just in front of the hip bones. Being a heifer she may do these things way in advance so just be patient.
    If you are worried about calving troubles (more likely in heifers) check early morning at the least. I check all my heifers at approx. 10 pm, 1 am, 3 am and 6 am when I think a delivery is coming. Generally between 4-6 am is when most of our action happens. Occasionally midnight but not often.

8. DoubleR

DoubleR Repro Lover

It's very hard to tell in the photos. The first one looks very fleshy so it's hard to see in that picture if things are softening and I can't see her udder at all. She doesn't look that close from what I can see.
    The second photo does look closer but still doesn't look like what I would expect at calving for that type of cow. What little I can see of the udder it definitely doesn't look ready but they can literally have the baby hit the ground and then drop their milk. She looks softer than the first but not ready yet.
    Never worry about posting those type of photos. Strait on rear shots, side shots, vulva pics and udder pics are the most helpful for guessing. :)

9. Raywood

Raywood New Member

Ok cool I will get some better ones as I was worried about that, you just never know these days what people have problems with but I know it's just part of the cow ! I will get a good one of their udders and what threw me the one that had milk her udders filling but her teats are no where as big yet she is way bigger in the tummy so I hoping that means theirs 2 in their as her blood line is known for twins

Rachel Pender

10. DoubleR

DoubleR Repro Lover

I understand completely! Lol! Your free to post away. ;) Those kinds of photos are allowed. :)
    Udders are tricky. I've seen them look full a month or more in advance but the teats never get super full. You just never know. I've seen all over the board.
    For your sake I hope she's not carrying twins this time around. Twins aren't that common and have their own set of challenges. Especially in first calf heifers.
    Hopefully there isn't a big calf in there.
    Looking forward to seeing these babies! :D

11. Raywood

Raywood New Member

ImageUploadedByCattle Forum1416626711.100447.jpg this is the udder of one ImageUploadedByCattle Forum1416626748.649427.jpg
    This is the other one that had the milk ImageUploadedByCattle Forum1416626792.884011.jpg this is the first ones back end the 2 nd one is not as floppy as this one,
    I can't wait till they come out either I wish it would just come, they are Pb droughtmaster and the bull is to and they are meant to have small calves so should be fingers crossed no problems

Rachel Pender

12. saskcattle

saskcattle New Member

I am not familiar with the breed you have but going off my experience with other breeds of cattle I think you have a bit of time before they calve

13. Raywood

Raywood New Member

Well that sucks! I do know they are due before Xmas going off the approx date when we knew they pregnant but was hoping it was sooner rather than later but anyway when it happens I will put pics of them up :)

Rachel Pender

14. DoubleR

DoubleR Repro Lover

I agree. I think you still have a wait. Neither udders appear ready yet and should grow more before calving. Teats should get more full looking also.
    Also they still look pretty firm in the rear and their vulva's aren't loose enough.
    I haven't had a chance to research their breed yet but I'd bet they are similar to beefmaster cattle. Look more brahma influenced. These types of cattle get pretty loose in the vulva and rear prior to calving.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
  15. Raywood

Raywood New Member

Anyone got a pic of what this looks like as the only ones I can find on the net are dairy cows and I know they won't get that big and I can't find anything on the valva ?

Rachel Pender

16. DoubleR

DoubleR Repro Lover

I'll see what pics I can dig up. It's difficult because every cow is different along with every breed is different.

17. Raywood

Raywood New Member

ImageUploadedByCattle Forum1417157251.708171.jpg this just started today! Theirs mucas coming out and it's all over her tail and rump! Would this be any interaction that something's happening

Rachel Pender

18. Raywood

Raywood New Member

* indication! Sorry spelt it wrong

Rachel Pender

19. DoubleR

DoubleR Repro Lover

That's normal. Probably her mucus plug. That can happen a month in advance to days in advance. Good catch! She still doesn't have a lot of edema ("swelling") in her vulva. Hows her udder looking?
    The last two photos you've posted on this thread, is that the same cow/heifer? If so is she a cow or heifer?

20. Raywood

Raywood New Member

ImageUploadedByCattle Forum1417228827.385783.jpg this was her udder this morning! She's a cow and first baby

Rachel Pender