Halter breaking

Discussion in 'General Cattle Discussion' started by Hereford_Show_Girl, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Hereford_Show_Girl

Hereford_Show_Girl New Member

Is it ever too late to halter break a cow? I have a Six month old heifer, is she too old? Or will it just be difficult?

2. Fairfarmhand

Fairfarmhand New Member

Nope. Not too late at all. I halter broke two 2 yr old cows that had never been handled. Takes lots of time and patience but it is possible.

3. Krooked_S

Krooked_S New Member

Put a rope halter on them that drags the ground and when they step on it they will stop it let's them get the fill of the rope so when you are leading them they will obey. Tying it up after a few days helps also

4. Fairfarmhand

Fairfarmhand New Member

Here's how I halter break my cow.

http://www.cattleforum.com/how-to-halter-break-a-cow.html

I've got one that's at a friend's farm (keeping his cow company until he gets others) that will be getting this treatment when she comes back.

Honestly, it's not always super hard, even for an older cow. My current favorite JErsey came from a dairy as a 5 yo. She was a breeze to break to a halter because she was used to people and being "bossed" around. She just has a very calm temperament. After she got used to the weird thing on her head, she's never been a minutes trouble.