I saw it on YouTube!!!

Discussion in 'General Cattle Discussion' started by Fairfarmhand, Mar 14, 2014.

1. Fairfarmhand

Fairfarmhand New Member

Yesterday, I was checking on my other Jersey cow, Blossom. She looked...odd. I put out the feed and she sniffed it, but didn't eat. Even weirder. She usually cleans up the trough.

I thought about that for awhile, while I stretched out the hose to fill the horse's trough. I glanced over and she'd laid down next to the fence. hmmm....

Next glance, she was stretched out on her side. Just like my cow, Lady.

I flew up to the house and mixed up some Epsom Salts to inject her with magnesium for grass tetany.

I rounded up my 2 oldest daughters, cause I knew I'd need help.

When I got outside and begin looking closer, as I was injecting Epsom salts, I started thinking that she was presenting differently from Lady. After going over it in my mind (high milk producer, sudden weakness, turning the head back at times, cool ears) I thought it was more like milk fever.

I sent my oldest daughter back to the house for the IV setup, needle and calcium gluconate.

Once I got that set up, I plunged the needle into her milk vein, giving her the whole bottle of Calcium.

3 minutes after I pulled the needle from her belly, Blossom started trying to get up. We let her try a minute more, then my daughter and I helped her. She was on her feet, but a little shaky. This whole ordeal lasted for less than 15 minutes.

And boy was it a frightening 15 minutes!

How did I Know to do that?

When Lady (my cow who died Monday) was sick, I scoured the Internet to find anything that might help her. I found a youtube video that demonstrated a milk fever case and what to do. Because of this, I did what needed to be done.

I was terrified. But I knew she'd die if I didn't try SOMETHING!

I really feel like a redneck...

"Hey, I saw this video on YouTube, and...

2. DoubleR

DoubleR Repro Lover

Congrats on the awesome save!!!
    The Internet is a wonderful thing! It's my go to for our animals as our cow vet retired and there's no one else accept a teaching hospital hours away. YouTube is great for that also!
    Good job, thanks for sharing and be sure to replace your inventory :D

3. Fairfarmhand

Fairfarmhand New Member

I went to TSC that night and bought more stuff. I have to give her a tube of cal-gel every day for a couple days too, to make sure she doesn;t relapse.

4. RanchWife

RanchWife New Member

This is awesome, good job. I would had been too scared to do an IV. Then again, desperate times call for desperate measures

www.calving2014.wordpress.com

5. rene

rene New Member

The Epsom salt? what does that correct or what does it do?

6. Fairfarmhand

Fairfarmhand New Member

Grass tetany is a magnesium deficiency. The Epsom salt is magnesium sulfate. Injected under the skin it'll help with that.