Improving a herd

Discussion in 'General Cattle Discussion' started by rene, Mar 19, 2014.

1. rene

rene New Member

I have a question for the masses. herd of cattle that is only bread to a regular bull. a bull that is bought at a farm. is it wise to bring in ai from a really good genetic BUll to improve the herd. okay I think I just answered my question. these cattle are not docile, they are somewhat a little bit wild. should I be getting that with new heifers, heifers I can start them early and bring their wild nature down. rather than to deal with a big cow that is a little bit wild?

2. Fairfarmhand

Fairfarmhand New Member

It all depends on your handling facilities. If you have a good chute and alleys set up to make handling easier, it's not as hard as you think.

You can breed to a good bull with a good docility score and keep his daughters as herd replacements. In a generation or 2 you may have some really great cows, but it will take some time.

WRT to taming cows, get them used to your presence. Bring out feed to them and stand around. Stay calm and quiet and they may settle down for you more.

3. RanchWife

RanchWife New Member

4. rene

rene New Member

Now that's a very good tip.

5. DBPMAINEANJOU

DBPMAINEANJOU New Member

we chose our Maine Anjou bull on his temprament as much as conformation any overly agressive types get culled .Your saftey is important why deal with a cranky 2000lb beast when you can deal with a quiet one

6. rene

rene New Member

Yea working on culling all aggressive cows. So far a few have wanted to climb out of catch pen. A few foam at mouth trying to get to me. Pawing at ground. A real rodeo. 1 I had to keep a steel pipe with me in case she got stupid a charges me. She gone to stockyard sale.

7. rene

rene New Member

These are descendents of what they call around here woods cows. Cows that have roamed these woods and never had human interaction. They've bred Angus , longhorn and Brahma in this herd. Culling in full effect. about 60% have to go.

8. RanchWife

RanchWife New Member

9. rene

rene New Member

So would it be best to bring in AI ? And selectively breed

10. Fairfarmhand

Fairfarmhand New Member

that's what I would do. From your description, they sound kind of crazy. Be careful!

11. DoubleR

DoubleR Repro Lover

We are strictly an AI and Embryo operation anymore. I can produce better calves by picking and choosing sires that improve on the dam and produce the best marketable offspring. Best part in no bulls on hand to have to deal with anymore.

12. Fairfarmhand

Fairfarmhand New Member

We do AI too, keep a bull out of each year's crop as a clean up bull for the next year or two. Then we sell him for someone else's herd bull. I ran across a herd the other day that had to be embryo transplant because all the black mama's were nursing white Charolais calves. It was the oddest looking thing. but kind of neat too.

13. DoubleR

DoubleR Repro Lover

That would be interesting. Lol! I've seen some in a local herd but not the whole herd. There is a Charolais operation here that uses black angus bulls and it's about a 50/50 split on calf color.

14. rene

rene New Member

Well another truely crazy cow off to the sale. This one tried to bite me when I loaded her in the trailer. Wow!

15. rene

rene New Member

Southern cattle have that around here. But I have 2 polled jersy bulls I was thinking of doin this. They were bottle calves .

16. rene

rene New Member

some of these cows here do this. Black mama black bull and out comes a speckeled heifer. Some blamed bull genes, I think it's the mama some longhorn gene

17. rene

rene New Member

Is there a way to improve the odds of the ai , I don't like 60 and 70% success.is it possible to get 90% or better?

18. rene

rene New Member

I forgot simmental, in this mix.

19. Jonny

Jonny Beef Farmer

The bull can only get 70% per serving. Over 3 cycles a good bull will get over 96% of cows pregnant.

Getting over 70% average via AI is better than a bull. Our local AI tech averages 80% and she has done hundreds of thousands of Cows over the last 30 years.
    The main reason for a 70% conception rate per serving is cow factors. You can increase your odds by things like putting them on a higher plain of nutrition. Mate/inseminate on lengthening day length, use of hormones eg gnrh, pmsg.

20. DoubleR

DoubleR Repro Lover

We run high 95-98%. With proper heat detecting and proper timing, absolutely that can be improved. Natural heat give higher pregnancy rates however we have excellent success with synchronization. The key is either doing it yourself or finding a truly invested tech who cares more about getting them bred the 1st time than the money. It takes some work but it's very worth it. Especially when pay day hits and you have a very nice uniform calf crop to sell. :D