Lost and confused

Discussion in 'Legal' started by Kuntre, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Kuntre

Kuntre New Member

Hi, just moved from city to country. We bought home with land. Left message for neighbor that he was welcome to put a horse in pasture if he needed to. He came by and asked if he could put 15-25 cows on it to which I said I didn't mind til spring. He said he needed to check fences, would put hay out and trough for watering. Nothing was said about legalities. I think of courtesy, respect and helping new neighbor out. Wife thinks of income for using land, insurance and liabilities. Do I need to draw up papers for legalities or ask for money or is it common courtesy to help neighbor out? Want to be kind to neighbors as we just moved here but don't want to be used or walked on .

2. robertsooner

robertsooner New Member

Kuntre, congratulations on your new home from a fellow recent city > country convert. First, I commend your desire to be a good neighbor and help others out when you have the means to do so. Definitely, if you do not have any immediate plans for your pasture, I’m sure your neighbor would be very appreciative of the benefit of saving money on hay/feed. With that said, I don’t think it would be unreasonable for you to establish some conditions and, because you haven’t known your neighbor long and don’t know how trustworthy they are, to put those conditions in writing. For example, you might consider a signed waiver of any responsibility for injury to or loss of cattle while they are on your property. Also, since the neighbor is benefiting from the use of your land, you might ask him to make any necessary repairs to your fences before and during the time his cattle are on it. That would be a fair benefit to you in exchange for your kindness.
    Just a few things for you to consider. I think your heart is in the right place...just take some common sense actions to protect yourself and your property until you know your neighbor better.