Moving cows

Discussion in 'Behavior and Heard Management' started by Megan, Nov 26, 2013.

1. Megan

Megan New Member

Can someone tell me about how many grown cows will fit into a 10ft long, and I think about 5 ft wide stock trailer? Only going about 30 miles if that makes any difference.

2. Alice

Alice New Member

3. CROWEmtnFARMS

CROWEmtnFARMS New Member

2 to 3 depending on how big ur full grown is. If you can shut the door maybe 4.

4. cattle

cattle Administrator Staff Member

Do you really want to cram them in though? I've seen trailers in Texas that were over stocked and they had a hard time moving.

5. CROWEmtnFARMS

CROWEmtnFARMS New Member

If your not goin to far. Fuel is high

6. DoubleR

DoubleR Repro Lover

Agreed ^^^ 2-3 tops depending on size of the cattle and if you can close the door.
    Please Keep in mind the animals welfare. If they are smashes so tight they have a hard time moving or breathing it could be bad. Especially if one falls down and can't get back up. Outcome can easily be a dead cow. Probably don't have to say it but I am saying it anyways to make me feel better ;).

7. Hereford_Show_Girl

Hereford_Show_Girl New Member

Look at the size of cattle you have. You don't want them extremely squished together. You want them to get there in one piece. :)

8. Megan

Megan New Member

Thanks for the advice. I'll be considering that as I get land and the cattle and looking for a transportation van style carrier.

9. cattleman1253

cattleman1253 New Member

But do remember if you cattle are snug but not tight in the trailer they can use each other for balance and keep themselves from falling

10. Bessie

Bessie New Member

That makes sense. I guess they could get hurt in an abrupt stop if only one in a large carrier trailer.

11. Megan

Megan New Member

Thanks for that note cattleman, that would be something to remember.

Hi to Bessie.

12. RanchWife

RanchWife New Member

But if something does go down, it will get trampled and not be able to get up.