New!

Discussion in 'General Cattle Discussion' started by Hereford_Show_Girl, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Hereford_Show_Girl

Hereford_Show_Girl New Member

Hello, my name is AnnaLisa and I show registered Hereford cattle, but we also are starting a breeding business on the side. Anyone want to give me some pointers on What are some good beef breeds to cross? ImageUploadedByCattle Forum1389918085.654703.jpg

2. Fairfarmhand

Fairfarmhand New Member

Around here, a very popular cross is Black Angus/Hereford. Our Hereford angus crosses grow incredibly well. They also sell very well.

3. Hereford_Show_Girl

Thank you! We have been thinking about black angus, but also Simmental.... Opinions on that?

4. cattleman1253

cattleman1253 New Member

Simmital l is a decent Breed of cow but I highly recommend black Angus I've been raising black Angus for going on 17 years and you can't beat them. They're one of the most outstanding breeds of cattle out there and I'm not just saying that, from experience and from other producers I know that a well taken care of black Angus breeding program can be very very rewarding and Will make you money in the long run out of anything black Angus is the best for a breeding program especially they have the best disposition and black-hide cattle always does better in Sell barn if you were still feeder steers for example, that are black off the mamas. Black Angus cattle will always be the number one business marketing breed of cattle this is the number one Breed of beef cattle in the nation for purebred cattle and sticks with its name of " The Business Breed".

5. Hereford_Show_Girl

Thank you! I think I will go with black angus!

6. DoubleR

DoubleR Repro Lover

I agree with Cattleman1253. A smart cross would be black angus.
    I know in our area they are the far superior money makers.

7. aidan

aidan New Member

Hi I live in alberta and we raise 300 comerical herefords and in our experience we have found charlois cross hereford brings in top dollar and huge calves compared to what our 3 black angus bulls give

8. Hereford_Show_Girl

Though I think Charolais are beautiful and top dollar animals, I have heard from friends experiences that they can be extremely hard on fences. I would have to keep that in mind, though.:)

9. cattleman1253

cattleman1253 New Member

yes Charloas very beautiful Cattle especially the babies when they are Snow white when they are firstborn but looks can be deceiving the Charloas cattle especially the mamas can be very very very dangerous with or without a calf at its side and bulls aren't much better either though Charloas cross is always better than the sale barn Sharlane let alone can be very dangerous and can get very mean very quickly and hurt people very badly I work at a stockyard and almost 50% of the cattle that came in and wanted to get a hold of you were Charloas. If you would can start a cow calf operation like I said before it would need to be black Angus but if you want to just do crossbreeding cattle Charlotte cross black Angus cross and Hereford cross a very good Breeds of cattle but like I said if you're just going to stick with a breeding program black Angus with your best bet and are also very easy to handle not hard to keep in. you can keep them in with Just one string of electric Barbed wire that's all we use and we never have any calls for the cows or bulls getting out the calves Can get under it but when they get older they don't and I'm not trying to not trying to diss other cattle breeds but from experience stockyard and on the farm I would highly recommend just getting black Angus cattle for a cow calf breeding program operation

10. aidan

aidan New Member

It depends on the cow my neighbore has charlois and they are like pets it all depends on the animal

11. cattleman1253

cattleman1253 New Member

^^ that is true but over half the time they can get pretty mean especially the Charlois cows this is all from expirence and I'm just trying to help

12. Hereford_Show_Girl

Thank you guys! I think we are trying to steer away from Charolais

13. DBPMAINEANJOU

DBPMAINEANJOU New Member

I have been looking at putting one of my Maine Anjou bulls over some poll herefords should fill out nicely and hopefully inherit the maines quiet disposition and a bit more market aceptance in our local area.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2014