Newborn calf can't stand can't suck

Discussion in 'Cattle Raising Forum' started by Cowlover, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Cowlover

Cowlover New Member

We had a calf born in the field 21 hours ago, it was a problematic birth and it had to pulled off now its tongue is swollen and it doesn''t seem quite able to stand (although i can't see any damage to the legs). I managed to stomach tube it some colostrum in the first six hours and I tried to bottle feed it first thing this morning but i assume because of its swollen tongue that it can't suck too well. I'm going to stomach tube it again now just so it has a chance but I'm sort of at a loss as to what I can do longer term.

2. Riahq

Riahq New Member

It isn't necessarily positive, but your calf may have a rare case of wooden tounge. It's a disease typically found in older cattle,but calves can get it too. I've only had to deal with it once in a calf, and she was about a week or two old. She was SQ injected in the neck with penicillin until it healed. I'm not sure why it would affect her legs, so it may not be wooden tounge, especially considering the difficult birth. I would definitely check with your local veterinarian to make sure, but it's worth the effort, so look into it. Hope this helps !

3. Riahq

Riahq New Member

She is pretty young though, so your case is likely a birth defect. Was this the cows first calf?