Nursing problems

Discussion in 'Cattle Raising Forum' started by Hereford_Show_Girl, Feb 8, 2014.

1. Hereford_Show_Girl

Hereford_Show_Girl New Member

My calf is a few weeks over a year old. Her mama is due any day to have her next calf, and I looked out this morning and she was nursing again. We weened the calf over July and they stayed appart for a while. We haven't had a problem until now. Do I just repeat the weening process? Will there be a problem with the mama because she has lost milk for the baby?

2. RanchWife

RanchWife New Member

It's not a problem with how you weaned I think. We have had cows that just nurse other cows. It's a very bad thing and repeating the weaning process won't work. If your cow was older, she would put that other one in her place and the pecking order would solve your problem. If this continues to be a problem you will have two choices to save her future calf for starving to death because of the other one nursing her, that is get rid of the misbehaving cow/separate them, or the veterinarians can do a process where they split the tongue so it cannot nurse. On our ranch we don't like that idea so cows nursing cows get sold.

3. Fairfarmhand

Fairfarmhand New Member

4. Hereford_Show_Girl

I'm hoping that now that the baby is born, she will kick the old one off. Here he is. Baby bull Beau born today in the snow :) ImageUploadedByCattle Forum1391910721.979075.jpg ImageUploadedByCattle Forum1391910735.447351.jpg

5. RanchWife

RanchWife New Member

Awe!!! Congratulations!!!!! All the waiting and wondering finally paying off!!!!

6. Hereford_Show_Girl

Thank you! And yeah, it really did. I love him already :)

7. DoubleR

DoubleR Repro Lover

Absolutely adorable calf! I love Herefords!
    Please do not "hope" she will kick the old calf off. The old calf will steal and get wise. I've seen old calves nurse from behind while the new baby nurses normal. Moms fooled to thinking it's just new baby. Don't let the old baby steal from the new pair.
    Separate and let mom get nursed down a bit and bond with the new baby. Then once the new baby's strong enough to keep coming back (when kicked off) you can turn the old baby out with a nose ring in.
    This can turn into a big problem if not taken care of soon.
    Good luck. :)

8. Fairfarmhand

Fairfarmhand New Member

This is absolutely right. Check out the video as above. The calf won't be getting all he needs until that older calf quits. You'd be astonished at how much milk a grown/half-grown calf will drink. Like GALLONS of milk, leaving very little for the baby calf

9. Hereford_Show_Girl

I separated the calf from her that morning that I found out, and ten minutes later the mother went into labor. I will be keeping them separated for a while so that the baby can bond with the mother as planned. :)

10. CROWEmtnFARMS

CROWEmtnFARMS New Member

Ive got a muzzle my great gpa used years ago that has nails thru it. When i have one do that i put the muzzle on it and mama wont let it suck she dont like getting stuck. The nails are flat so they dnt puncture just very uncomfortable.

11. jgydesen

jgydesen New Member

I am new to the bottle
    Calf raising. Is there any advice to help my productivity? Thanks ImageUploadedByCattle Forum1392683356.991973.jpg

Joshua Gydesen

12. Fairfarmhand

Fairfarmhand New Member

Are you feeding grain yet?

13. jgydesen

jgydesen New Member

Yes I keep starter feed on supply for
    Them to munch on! Also good quality hay.

Joshua Gydesen

14. RanchWife

RanchWife New Member

There is a book by John Moran, called Calf Rearing. It is full of good information that has helped me improve my methods. You can buy it online but I'm not sure how much it costs.

15. cowfarmer

cowfarmer New Member

There is a nose piece that prevents the calf from sucking