Seeking mentor cattleperson in Va

Discussion in 'General Cattle Discussion' started by jchandler, Feb 4, 2014.

1. jchandler

jchandler New Member

I would like to raise pastured beef (likely cow calf pairs). Before I get started, I would like to learn more hands on about this kind of operation.
    Do you raise cattle in eastern Virginia? Would you be willing to share your experience? Please let me know.

2. Fairfarmhand

Fairfarmhand New Member

I don't live in VA, but the best source of info in our area is the county extension service. Even if they emphasize more commercial feeding techniques, they will know someone who can help you get started. Our service is SUPER helpful, offers low cost classes, and they can get you started on some of the state and federal grant projects to help improve your farm.

3. jchandler

jchandler New Member

Thanks. I'll connect with the extension. Based on past dealings with them (great folks), I expect good info. I'm not sure they can give me the hands on experience, though.

Maybe the extension can help me make the connections.

I'm really after some doing. I think I'll be a better cattle raiser if I make the effort up front to work with someone. For example : help calving, see about managing weak/sick calves, & recognize signs of stress in the cows.

4. Fairfarmhand

Fairfarmhand New Member

If you attend classes at the extension office, you will make the connections that you are needing. It's a great way to network.