Sick cow!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Raywood, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Raywood

Raywood New Member

Hi I'm new to this, I have feedlot cattle and breeding droughtmasters! I live in qld Australia, last week our feedlot cattle got grain poisoning and 6 recovered and are fine but theirs 1 big boy that went down Sunday morning and has not got up yet, he can't do anything but breath, he's had antibiotics and vitaman B injections, today I put the hose in his mouth to get him to drink and he swallowed a few times then did the first poo since going down and attempted to stand but he could not, has anyone experienced this before and I'm expecting him to die but would love if he didn't , so if anyone's got any tricks or methods they have used and it worked please let me know as he's running out of time, thank you

2. DoubleR

DoubleR Repro Lover

First off welcome to the forum!
    How's the big guy doing?

3. Raywood

Raywood New Member

Thanks, after 5 days of no water we had to put him down, he could not lift his head anymore so was kinder to him to shoot him, but on the upside the other 6 that went down with it are all recovered and thriving again .

4. DoubleR

DoubleR Repro Lover

Awe bummer but congrats on saving the rest! :)
    We're a newer forum but growing everyday. Stick around! We're happy to have you!

5. DoubleR

DoubleR Repro Lover

A recommendation if this ever happens again is to provide good quality probiotics.
    The vit b is great and will help with energy and appetite but probiotics help stabilize the gut a provide the good bacteria needed.
    Any sick cattle here get Vit b and probiotics right off. Especially when antibiotics are given.
    Just a suggestion. I'm not knowledgable in your neck of the woods on what's available so I can't make any suggestions on where to get it.
    If that guy got dehydrated did you give him electrolytes?
    Did these cattle bloat?

6. Raywood

Raywood New Member

Can I get the probiotics from an ag shop or the vet? I tried to give him some stuff to help him rehydrate but he really would not swallow so mad it very hard, I tried everything except getting the vet to put an Iv in but I just could not afford that esspically seeing he was a feedlot cow, no bloat , now I just have to keep the rest healthy as after grain poisoning they can die after they recover so I have read, so should I give the recovered ones probiotic. ?

7. DoubleR

DoubleR Repro Lover

It would be cheaper to get probiotics from a feed store or online if you can. They'll come in a tube.
    Sounds like at the point he was at he needed to be tubed with a stomach tube. Tricky to do if you've never done it.
    If it were me I would go ahead and give probiotics to the rest. Wouldn't hurt and may be beneficial. Are they on antibiotics?

8. Raywood

Raywood New Member

Not now but they all had a dose of them, I wanted to tube him but no one could help me as I have never done it and all the vet wanted to do was Iv him and I didant want to do it and kill him from putting it in the wrong place, it is something I want and need to learn

9. DoubleR

DoubleR Repro Lover

If you have access to youtube there are good videos you can watch to teach you if you have no one locally to help.
    There are a lot of very good educational videos on YouTube you might be able to learn from.
    Might be something to look into so you have the needed supplies on hand and ready to go in the future. :)

10. Raywood

Raywood New Member

I will look into it and I'm going to order the probiotics for the others , thank you so much for your help it's been very informative :)

11. DoubleR

DoubleR Repro Lover

You bet!
    Learn from every day. :) Keep things on hand for the next time and hope you never need it.
    I've personally turned to Youtube multiple times to diagnose things and learn new things that no one can teach me locally. Just use your brain and weed threw the rookies vs the pro's. ;)
    Do you have access to Banamine?

12. Raywood

Raywood New Member

Where are you located may I ask ?

13. DoubleR

DoubleR Repro Lover

California, USA

14. Raywood

Raywood New Member

Wow that's cool! I hear it's pretty hot their at the moment, we are the same struggling for feed on the ground as theirs been no rain and can't get bales of hay as either no ones got them or they are triple the price which makes things hard but in saying that we moved to our farm 2 yes ago from the city and I would never leave no matter how hard as it's beautiful and so rewarding :)

15. DoubleR

DoubleR Repro Lover

We're running in the 70's here. Been in a severe drought for several years. Cattle shortage and severe drought is making for record prices.
    We're in the same boat it sounds like for hay. For 85-95 pound square bales of alfalfa they run $18-$22 a bale. It's unbelievable.
    Where abouts in Australia do you live? What's the market look like for your cattle? I'm unclear on the breed you raise. Is it an Australian breed?

16. Raywood

Raywood New Member

I'm in Queensland Australia, cattle prices have dropped and we buy them cheap for about $250 an animal that's about 12mths old but grain is still high about $550 a ton which is not cheap and at the end you only get about $800 per animal on the hook so we are lucky to make $200 per head

Rachel Pender

17. DoubleR

DoubleR Repro Lover

Wow! That's not great prices! I'm surprised to hear that! Hopefully the grain prices will drop for you soon but I'm sure it probably won't until you guys get some decent rain.
    $250 won't even buy a holstein bull drop calf! Yearlings are bringing $2.50 a pound easy.
    I would LOVE to go to Queensland! I'm not big on traveling but that is one place I'd love to go.

18. Raywood

Raywood New Member

It's pretty nice here, I would not live anywhere else, gets hot in summer and cold in winter (does not snow) thank god but lots of frost but it's a beautiful place to be

Rachel Pender

19. DoubleR

DoubleR Repro Lover

Sounds very nice :) California's not our preferred/chosen place but for now it's home. :)
    If you ever get a chance we'd love to see some Australian cattle and cattle dogs! :) Just start a thread so others can enjoy! :)

20. Raywood

Raywood New Member

We have a beautiful cattle dog, I will start one I just gotta work it out not to sure how I do it yet

Rachel Pender