What age do you stop bottle feeding your calves?

Discussion in 'Cattle Raising Forum' started by cattlegirl, Mar 31, 2014.

1. cattlegirl

cattlegirl New Member

Hi need to know what age to stop bottle feeding? Thanks

2. Fairfarmhand

Fairfarmhand New Member

Personally, we try to keep giving 2 bottles a day for 2-3 months and 1 bottle a day until 5-6 months. We always vaccinate right when we wean. All of the bottle calves we've lost happened when we procrastinated vaccinations after weaning.

3. cattlegirl

cattlegirl New Member

4. rene

rene New Member

This is wat I've come up with feeding milk till about 6 months. I have been doin it only 6 weeks cause I did not know nothing about bottle feeding it was told to Me 6 week. 6 months I think It's better on calf

5. Fairfarmhand

Fairfarmhand New Member

Many people do wean at 6 weeks, but I believe it's better for the calf to have more milk longer.

6. rene

rene New Member

Yea totally agree. I learned this just 2 weeks ago. Wat im doin now is when I feed soaked corn I put their milk ration in it. they wat and drink all at once. It seems to be working for calves that r 2 months old

7. rene

rene New Member

Wat I saw was dairy heifer they only milk them for 2 months but a beef heifer much much longer. It did not make sense. So if I milk a dairy calf as much As a beef calf on their mama would the dairy calf develop physically like a beef calf?

8. Fairfarmhand

Fairfarmhand New Member

They might gain more weight. However, they will always be more boney and less "beefy" than a beef cow. Genetics have so much to do with how muscle and fat are distributed.

9. Krooked_S

Krooked_S New Member

We wean at 8 weeks start slow then go to 2 full bottles a day for about 6 weeks then cut bottles to 3/4 for couple days then cut out evening bottle and finish on 1/2 bottle in mornings for couple days

10. rene

rene New Member

I was doin similar I was not satisfied with results.

11. RanchWife

RanchWife New Member

We feed ours about 6 months, some of this has to do with the fact that they can be slower to eat grass, and their rumen is still developing when they're young. We had a calf orphaned last year because its cow got her back down hill and the calf was weaned early because of this. It was very obvious at sale time which one it was because it didn't grow and fill out as well. Bottle calves are small and stunted anyways, so longer on the bottle won't hurt at all and I think will pay back when it comes time to put the calf on a scale.

www.calving2014.wordpress.com

12. rene

rene New Member

It is not the weight the stockyard look for it's how the cut of meat is on the animal. But yes at 6months, they will be more appealing to buyers

13. Fairfarmhand

Fairfarmhand New Member

yup. Bottle calves are almost always smaller at weaning, even if you wait to wean. They can't sip all day from an udder. We've had better success raising them on bottles of raw milk from our Jersey, but it's still not quite the same.

14. rene

rene New Member

I am eliminating the bottles and buying 2 day old heifers to do the job not me , I found a large flaw in bottle raisin a calf I don't care to do again. So far 2- 1 1/2years old bread heifers about to begin soon. 2 more a year old heifers and hopefully get 2 more this summer

15. Fairfarmhand

Fairfarmhand New Member

That's hand's down the best way to raise bottle calves...although technically I guess you couldn't call them bottle calves. :)

What breed nurse cow are you using?

16. rene

rene New Member

jersy and jersy holstein cross

17. rene

rene New Member

So far 1jersy 2 jersy holstein and 1 holstein jersy cross . This summer not sure wat they will sell me. They r breeding the jersy heavy into their herd.

18. DBPMAINEANJOU

DBPMAINEANJOU New Member

I have feed 2 feeds a day for first 3 weeks then 1 feed per day increasing in volume till 6 -7 weeks then decreasing in volume for next 2-4 weeks as hard feed consumption increases have to look at how their going and judge it .allways have hay available and pellets twice daily

19. rene

rene New Member

Right now on 14 steers they eat 4 - 5g buckets of soaked corn, 6 double hands full of cottonseed hulls and about 4g milk in the feed . How can I find out nutritional value?

20. kbfarms

kbfarms New Member

Whoa no need to feed milk for 6 months at all in fact your killing your profit especially if your feeding milk replacer. A calf needs starter feed staring around 4 days old. They don't need much just a handful a day and fresh daily. They also need free choice water long as they are healthy and not scoured up. Baby calfs have an esophageal tube that by-passes the rumen reticulum and omasum. When fed milk all the milk goes straight to the abomasum. Water and high protein starter grain (18%) or so preferably medicated is a must to help jump start the rumen. The water helps get the good bacteria going in the rumen so that the calf can be weaned and survive on grain. No hay needs to be fed during this time just feed. Also try to get a medicated feed with something such as bovatec or ruminsin. This will aid in prevention and treatment of coccidiosis. Also do not feed anything that is mostly made up of wheat or distillers grain. These grains are very starchy and can cause acidosis if not fed properly. Not saying what your doing is wrong just my 2 cents making money is the bottom line and your time is worth something. I also have a lot of info on average daily gain and what to feed at weaning if interested. Not bashing anyone just giving you my honest opinion.