Winter blanket for mini cattle. I've been call tractor supply and co-op. Their either

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by GrumpyFarms, Jan 24, 2014.

1. GrumpyFarms

GrumpyFarms New Member

ImageUploadedByCattle Forum1390595000.829990.jpg this is what I've found online.

2. Fairfarmhand

Fairfarmhand New Member

Just curious...

Why?

Aren't those cattle bred for cold weather?

3. GrumpyFarms

GrumpyFarms New Member

1st he's our baby. 2nd his breed is 98% fat free. Yes he has short and long hair, but it's very fine hair. 3rd. HE'S OUR BABY...... It's been 0 degrees at night and only 16 for a high. Why do horses get more consideration to be pampered. Why not my calf.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  4. CROWEmtnFARMS

CROWEmtnFARMS New Member

Your farm name is fitting Mr. Grumpy

5. Fairfarmhand

Fairfarmhand New Member

well, yeah, but Scotland is a pretty rotten place in the winter.

BTW, we don't blanket our horses either.

You're just a softy.

6. GrumpyFarms

GrumpyFarms New Member

You got me. I'm a softy. I even put my ducks in the hen house when it gets this cold. The other night I went out to check on yen a found one of our Indian runner ducks frozen to the ground. I took some warm water and got her off the ground and put her in a nesting box in ten hen house. Their my babies. They give me eggs and happiness watching them. So do our chickens. I trade eggs for meat with other friends of ours that raise meat chickens. Good trade.

7. RanchWife

RanchWife New Member

40 degrees is comfortable to cattle, ours are short haired angus and they do quite well, if you keep your little guy out of wind and precip he should be comfortable. But if you really want a blanket maybe try something the use on sheep?

8. GrumpyFarms

GrumpyFarms New Member

I rethought the blanket deal. I've got a good friend of ours that has long horns. She went out the other night to check thangs and found a new calf still wet and the temp was -11. That little calf it going great. If the little guy/gal can survive, my long haired highlander will be just fine.

9. RanchWife

RanchWife New Member

When our temps get bitter bitter cold, we try to bring in the newborns. It can get so cold they freeze before the cow can lick them off, once dry, they go back out. But those nights only come about once per calving season. I would love to see more highland cattle, we don't have many around here and they are such an interesting breed.