Cattle Forum - Your Online Cattle Resource and Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a topic im learnin lately. Wat is the long term effect on a calf that had an acidosis problem?
A clinical answer is ok but lookin more for a life experience answer.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok u got my question wrong. Ok lets see.... wat is the long term effect from a calf gettin acidic and recuperatin? Wat would it be stunted , limp legged or something else?

·
168 Posts
Generally they

walk out of it. takes a tincture of time and more roughage ( grass grazing or dry hay ) in their diet.

acidosis is just an upset ( out of balance PH ) rumen ( stomach ).

IF your version of acidosis happens to be from feeding high levels of distillers grains...well then what your seeing is polio ( called a "brainer," not much cure for that ).
excess sulfur in ddgs / wdgs poisons em.

You have to feed a balancer using higher ration levels of ddgs ( extra thiamine in it to counter the sulfur )

Ok u got my question wrong. Ok lets see.... wat is the long term effect from a calf gettin acidic and recuperatin? Wat would it be stunted , limp legged or something else?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok. I am not having acidosis issue with my calves at the moment. This was purely to understand ythis . But I did not know about distillers.
So ive had a few that made out of it good. But noticed small difference in outcome of animal. Like some had a gimp leg or slower growth... could they be more prone to illnesses?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Would the meat be ok for whole cow ground? U know when the animal is good n fat. There is placement for all cows. Knowing how to market ur goods to achieve the best $.

·
Cattleman
26 Posts
Meat is fine to grind em up.

I had a bull that OD'd on grain as a yearling, he grew out fine. Took a week to save him at the time, and he didn't look like he was gonna make it, but pulled through.

But after a couple of years his feet went on him, and he was always rectally bleeding - it didn't seem to bother him, he was just always losing a bit of blood. He then started to go downhill when his feet were bothering him, and before he could lose much condition he went packin. That was a more extreme case. On the other end of things is long toes. They just will always need their hooves trimmed.

All kinds of info:

http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/dig..._forestomach/grain_overload_in_ruminants.html

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Meat is fine to grind em up.

I had a bull that OD'd on grain as a yearling, he grew out fine. Took a week to save him at the time, and he didn't look like he was gonna make it, but pulled through.

But after a couple of years his feet went on him, and he was always rectally bleeding - it didn't seem to bother him, he was just always losing a bit of blood. He then started to go downhill when his feet were bothering him, and before he could lose much condition he went packin. That was a more extreme case. On the other end of things is long toes. They just will always need their hooves trimmed.

All kinds of info:

http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/dig..._forestomach/grain_overload_in_ruminants.html
So there is a definite time frame before its a total loss? Hmm...ok. Would you consider that particular animal butchered inferior quality?

·
Cattleman
26 Posts
Well if I and the vet didn't work on him for a week, he would have died when it happened. He was a somewhat expensive, pure bred bull.

Also I didn't eat him, sold him for slaughter. So I didnt taste him. But yes, I guess in the sense that any animals under stress won't taste as good as a healthy one - would mean it was somewhat lower quality, plus he was a mature bull. So he's better for burger, cause you don't want steaks the size of trash lids

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok so is it posible that the raw milk be unbalanced? If milk stabilizer is needed, would it be cost effective on daily 60g of milk. I did notice same scour pattern at home with out a milk stablizer and with it. Or something simpler like bakin soda

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.