Acidosis

Discussion in 'General Cattle Discussion' started by rene, Mar 4, 2015.

1. rene

rene New Member

Here is a topic im learnin lately. Wat is the long term effect on a calf that had an acidosis problem?
    A clinical answer is ok but lookin more for a life experience answer.

2. Markwright

Markwright Junior Member

They get over it, feed more

hay and less grain and they don't get acidosis.

3. rene

rene New Member

Yes I do know grain fed cattle are more prone to this.
    My question refers to the after gettin this. Is nerve damadge a effect for this

4. Markwright

Markwright Junior Member

Nerves are fine, they generally

walk out of it.

I'd be more concerned bout founder.

guess if they start walking on ski feet you'll know on the founder.

5. rene

rene New Member

Ok u got my question wrong. Ok lets see.... wat is the long term effect from a calf gettin acidic and recuperatin? Wat would it be stunted , limp legged or something else?

6. Markwright

Markwright Junior Member

Generally they

walk out of it. takes a tincture of time and more roughage ( grass grazing or dry hay ) in their diet.

acidosis is just an upset ( out of balance PH ) rumen ( stomach ).

IF your version of acidosis happens to be from feeding high levels of distillers grains...well then what your seeing is polio ( called a "brainer," not much cure for that ).
    excess sulfur in ddgs / wdgs poisons em.

You have to feed a balancer using higher ration levels of ddgs ( extra thiamine in it to counter the sulfur )

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  7. rene

rene New Member

Ok. I am not having acidosis issue with my calves at the moment. This was purely to understand ythis . But I did not know about distillers.
    So ive had a few that made out of it good. But noticed small difference in outcome of animal. Like some had a gimp leg or slower growth... could they be more prone to illnesses?

8. rene

rene New Member

Wat is the effect of an animal that suffered acidosis at a young age?

9. rene

rene New Member

Would the meat be ok for whole cow ground? U know when the animal is good n fat. There is placement for all cows. Knowing how to market ur goods to achieve the best $.

10. SupaDexta

SupaDexta Cattleman

Meat is fine to grind em up.

I had a bull that OD'd on grain as a yearling, he grew out fine. Took a week to save him at the time, and he didn't look like he was gonna make it, but pulled through.

But after a couple of years his feet went on him, and he was always rectally bleeding - it didn't seem to bother him, he was just always losing a bit of blood. He then started to go downhill when his feet were bothering him, and before he could lose much condition he went packin. That was a more extreme case. On the other end of things is long toes. They just will always need their hooves trimmed.

All kinds of info:

http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/dig..._forestomach/grain_overload_in_ruminants.html

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  11. rene

rene New Member

So there is a definite time frame before its a total loss? Hmm...ok. Would you consider that particular animal butchered inferior quality?

12. SupaDexta

SupaDexta Cattleman

Well if I and the vet didn't work on him for a week, he would have died when it happened. He was a somewhat expensive, pure bred bull.

Also I didn't eat him, sold him for slaughter. So I didnt taste him. But yes, I guess in the sense that any animals under stress won't taste as good as a healthy one - would mean it was somewhat lower quality, plus he was a mature bull. So he's better for burger, cause you don't want steaks the size of trash lids

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  13. rene

rene New Member

So why do their hair fall off their back end? It grows back but it seems to happen when they start to recuperate.

14. rene

rene New Member

Ok so is it posible that the raw milk be unbalanced? If milk stabilizer is needed, would it be cost effective on daily 60g of milk. I did notice same scour pattern at home with out a milk stablizer and with it. Or something simpler like bakin soda

15. rene

rene New Member

Are scours a cause only because of bacteria?