Beef cattle for subsistence ranching

Discussion in 'Beef Cattle Discussion' started by twistedcreek, Feb 28, 2016.

1. twistedcreek

twistedcreek New Member

I'm curious as to what is the best breed for subsistence ranching. We have 50 acres in East Texas. Only want about 6 head. I figure one bull and 5 cows. May do one steer to raise to butcher.
    What information do I need to know?
    As far as inoculations that need to insure a solid head of beef. I don't want to get any other livestock an diseases.

2. charloisfarmer

charloisfarmer New Member

What does substisence ranching mean

3. twistedcreek

twistedcreek New Member

I want to raise beef for me. With two or three to sell. Small herd.

4. charloisfarmer

Oh ok I understand now hahs

5. charloisfarmer

Do u have facility's I would look into a easier calving breed what are ur costs gonna be hay fencing facilities vet would it be better to go with a smaller breed dexter zebu i like the dexter there perfect size for small pastures

6. charloisfarmer

Are u gonna raise purebred or commercial

7. twistedcreek

twistedcreek New Member

I have pasture. Also plan to plant and harvest grains for feed. I want a breed or crossbreed that has a higher weight than the zebu. Fencing is a cost no matter what you do.

8. charloisfarmer

I would go with angus easier calving breed and put on good wait I like charlois put on lots of weight but may have difficult calving those are the breeds I've been raised around although a red angus xcharlois might be good idk I'm young there's lots of options

9. twistedcreek

twistedcreek New Member

The charlois are one of the breeds I was looking at. It has been said they do well on natural grasses. I will look up the crossbreed you mentioned. Thx

10. charloisfarmer

Ya my grandpa weans charlois calves at 8 months and they weigh around 600-700 pounds on a full grass diet ImageUploadedByCattle Forum1457247374.091540.jpg my grandpas herd he has charlois Holstein reds

11. twistedcreek

twistedcreek New Member

Any calfing problems ? I have been reading up on the other crossbreed you spoke of. I hope one day my grandkids will take it over and expand

12. charloisfarmer

Ya the big problem with charlois is the calving problem that's why I mentioned the semitall or angus cross breed is because pure bred charlois will calve out 100 pound calves like last year my grandpa had 120 pound calf u really got to watch what bull ur pickling out if ur going with purebred my grandpa always wants lots of length a good shoulder and small head and we look at the hips because that's where they can get stuck is at the hips and shoulders u don't want a wide set a hips ImageUploadedByCattle Forum1457283433.220313.jpg that's my grandpas pen of replacement charlois heifer they've since grown out and looked nice

13. twistedcreek

twistedcreek New Member

Charlois bull to a Hereford or Angus sounds like a better option. From all the snow I'm guessing not in Texas

14. charloisfarmer

Ya semitall are lighter framed angus or herford should be fine I hope I can take over my grandpas cows and do the same thing but I would want to expand

15. charloisfarmer

Idk does it matter if u put a charlois bull on angus or angus bull on charlois cows like would that affect birth weight or does it matter

16. twistedcreek

twistedcreek New Member

I'm not sure. Will see if calf weight is effected by bull or cow. I don't want to have trouble with calving if I don't have to. Will look up combo sets and see.

17. twistedcreek

twistedcreek New Member

Tractor supply website has some good information to start with. Since I'm not raising for any large profit. My herd will remain small about 10. I may do a smaller bull and crossbreed more than one kind of cow. See what fits better. Mine will be table beef anyway.

18. charloisfarmer

I think it would affect the weight therefore I would put a smll bull on a larger cow ill try to find that website because I really can't find any good websites on breeding and raising I did have an app once that showed what calves u get when u crossed breeds

19. oreana

oreana New Member

Look into Lowline. They are 100% Angus but about 40% smaller--easy to handle. They marble well on grass alone and have large ,tender ribeyes. Easy calving too!