Cattle Forum - Your Online Cattle Resource and Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We recently got 2 bottle calves, approximately 2 weeks old now. For the first 5 days both calves were doing great and taking 1/2 a bottle 2x a day still wanting more. The last 2 days one calf has been not wanting to suckle. He will start to drink his bottle then about a minute later pull away and lose interest. Every couple minutes I can get him to drink a tiny bit more, but he at most will drink 1/4 of the bottle. He is not lethargic at all, still up and moving around. He does sound a bit congested like he may have a harder time breathing while sucking. The other calf does keep trying to suck on his ears (we are working on a solution but are unsure if it could be related). Anyone experienced something similar? Any advice??

·
Super Moderator
2017 Quarter Horse x Appy mare
113 Posts
We recently got 2 bottle calves, approximately 2 weeks old now. For the first 5 days both calves were doing great and taking 1/2 a bottle 2x a day still wanting more. The last 2 days one calf has been not wanting to suckle. He will start to drink his bottle then about a minute later pull away and lose interest. Every couple minutes I can get him to drink a tiny bit more, but he at most will drink 1/4 of the bottle. He is not lethargic at all, still up and moving around. He does sound a bit congested like he may have a harder time breathing while sucking. The other calf does keep trying to suck on his ears (we are working on a solution but are unsure if it could be related). Anyone experienced something similar? Any advice??
Have had experience with a similar situation. Let him suckle as much as you can get him too, make sure he is standing laying upright, with his nose high up! Very important.

If he isn't drinking an appropriate amount every day, I would start weaning in half the bottle, the other half in a rubber/plastic bowl for him to drink like water.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.