Bottle calf won't eat

Discussion in 'Beef Cattle Discussion' started by BoldVenture, Jan 10, 2015.

1. DoubleR

DoubleR Repro Lover

In cases like that, especially when gotten with a problem, a temp can save a life. :) Just an idea to store away. :)
    If he had a break or dislocation he could have an infection going you didn't realize. A temp can show you something's going on you weren't aware of it. Just a tip for you :)
    Sorry you lost your calf :(

2. DoubleR

DoubleR Repro Lover

How's the slow calf doing?

3. BoldVenture

BoldVenture New Member

Good info I'll keep that in mind. Slow calf is doing great! Thanks!

Bold Venture Farms
    Buffalo Valley, TN

4. DoubleR

DoubleR Repro Lover

Really good to hear! Great job turning them around! :) Enjoy them :)

5. BoldVenture

BoldVenture New Member

Thanks for all your help Double R!

Bold Venture Farms
    Buffalo Valley, TN

6. DoubleR

DoubleR Repro Lover

You bet! Anytime! :)

7. BoldVenture

BoldVenture New Member

ImageUploadedByCattle Forum1423002181.135064.jpg

Bold Venture Farms
    Buffalo Valley, TN

8. BoldVenture

BoldVenture New Member

Update on the calf that wouldn't eat. He's doing great!

Bold Venture Farms
    Buffalo Valley, TN

9. DoubleR

DoubleR Repro Lover

I am not sure shows cuter!!!
    Thank you for sharing such a lovely photo! :)
    Thanks for the update! Great work! Glad you have a happy outcome!

10. Cowlover

Cowlover New Member

This is really good advice here I have two orphan calves with exactly this problem both have scours one is ok the other not wanting to feed. I've scoured the net (no pun intended) and literally not once seen that overfeeding can cause scours or that probiotics can help. A few hours ago however I gave my sickly calf a couple of squirts of probiotics and also had begun to wonder if overfeeding was a problem for scours. (I've tried everything else had the vet out given antibiotics, stool sample analysed and given a course of electrolytes) I may reduce the milk replacer intake on the healthier calf as well as the less agile one. The instructions on my milk replacer pack say give 2 x 3 litres/ day by day 8 (which seems a lot to me). I think I might wait til day 20 or so until I go to 3 litres. Some questions if anyone can help:

-What volumes of milk replacer do you recommend for calves in the first two months and
    - What probiotics to use are best for preventing scours?

Thanks

Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
  11. Hilary

Hilary New Member

I also have a heifer calf who has scours. She’s 2 weeks old, beef dairy cross. She has very watery poop but is still getting up and sucking down a bottle. But then she goes and lays back down after she eats. She acts pretty lethargic. She also has a runny nose. No coughing or anything though. I’ve had a hard time getting her to always take her bottle. The guy I got her from told me to give her 3 pints of water with 4-5oz of replacer until she gets used to it but I feel like she’s not hungry after I feed her that much. I also get her some Arrest with the gelling agent but she doesn’t seem to like it much. The package says to give her 2 pints of milk then wait 15-20 minutes to give her the electrolytes. I tried it this morning. She was still hungry and looking for food after her 2 pints of milk so waited 15 minutes and then she was over it and wouldn’t take the arrest.

I guess my question is can I give her the electrolytes right after the milk or maybe even before until I get her diarrhea under control? Should I be very worried about her runny nose? It’s not too bad but she sounds snotty sometimes and her eyes are clear and everything.

12. Nate

Nate New Member

We have a 4 day of calf-we found it in the pasture-mother had given birth early that day and when we found her she would not let calf get near her and would not let her nurse-we brought calf home and went to a nearby dairy barn to get some colostrum milk but now wondering if that was what they have us-we gave her that as soon as we got her to the house and she has been drinking milk replacer and running around -she is 4 days old but now we can't get her to eat and she is lethargic-she has been having bowel movements-no diarrhea and seeing-what could be wrong with her-our vet is on vacation and won't be back until next week.

13. Nate

Nate New Member

Any advice would be great-I really feel like if we don't do something today to try and turn her around we will lose her-

14. Cowlover

Cowlover New Member

My advice would be to skip the milk feeds and just feed the elctrolytes ( I know nowadays they say give both) but farmers used to just give electrolytes to get the diahorrea under control and if the calf isn't hungry what can you do? The important thing is to get the diahorrea sorted and then get her back on milk, calves should be slightly hungry and not over fed. As long as the calf has fresh water, hay and cake to nibble on I wouldn't worry about the lack of milk for a day or two. Thats just my advice others will differ. Probably feeding both is a better option but feeding milk and electrolytes is very time consuming, try dropping the ration amount of the milk to keep the calf hungry! Just don't over feed it and try to avoid sticking a tube down its throat.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  15. Cowlover

Cowlover New Member

You should have taken the calfs temperature get a thermometer for the future, but in this case a vet was really needed to diagnose the problem.

16. mystuff

mystuff New Member

Hi everyone

17. Kristen Thompson

Kristen Thompson New Member

I have a three week old bull calf.....we got him 10 days ago. He has had a fever, scours and respitory issues from day 1. Vet did exam day 1, lungs sounded clear but he was dehydrated and recumbent. We did 2 liters IV fluids and naxcel antibiotics. He does not have much of a suckle MOST of the time and others he will suck down a bottle fast. I am trying to alternate between milk replacement and electrolytes. I have added a probiotic to whatever bottle he will drink. He lays around much of the time. He is drinking freely from his water buckets so I don't feel he is not dehydrated per say but is definitely lacking electrolytes as his stool is liquid. I have another 10 week old bull calf and he is thriving but this little guy is struggling. Every night his temp goes over 105. We also started nuflor Monday night and still no difference in lethargy, temp and appetite. Can anyone recommend any kind of schedule, I am trying to offer every two hours round the clock but I find myself fading fast, and he looks like skin and bones, I am not sure if the kindest thing to do is put him down....how long can I keep using banamine IV before I am doing more harm then good?