Bull castration question with pics (not graphic)

Discussion in 'General Cattle Discussion' started by Downsouth13, Apr 8, 2018.

1. Downsouth13

Downsouth13 New Member

Hello, I recently purchased a longhorn “steer”. To the best of my knowledge he’s around 6 months old. Probably around 450 lbs. his back is about waist high...just to give you the idea of his size.

When I went to check him out, he looked good, so I paid for him and came back with the trailer to pick him up.

I never really saw him from the back until I unloaded him at home. It looks to me that he is still intact. When I try to contact the seller to find out, he is ignoring me - won’t respond to texts or calls.

I have only dealt with banded bulls so I am ignorant to what it would look like had it been crimped or castrated with a knife. With a banded bull, everything falls off so it’s obvious. With this one, he still has something going on down there.

I have attached pics. These are the best ones I have right now. I can take more in the morning if need be. Am I dealing with an intact bull? Or is his just an empty sack?
    I thought about feeling them to see if there was anything in there but thought I’d ask a group of pros first before I start getting weird. :)

Sorry for the dumb question but I am relatively new to this. We raise about two heifers or steers per year for freezer beef and have never dealt with actual castration before.

thanks!
    1FCA3CB2-E7CF-4DD7-8FE3-33BAC02708F6.jpeg
    2D6EB4C5-D419-4EC6-8FAF-C58B9E7D7D5A.jpeg

2. cattleguy91

cattleguy91 New Member

Yeah we’ve only dealt with banded calves as well but I’d recommend just running him through a squeeze so you can feel what’s there and be sure what you have.

3. Peter Murphy

Peter Murphy New Member

Very true said. My friend also did the same.

4. Fairfarmhand

Fairfarmhand Member

Kind looks like they "missed" a testicle when he was banded. He may need to be cut if you have any heifers around or you'll be keeping him longer than about a year.

5. jayk_91

jayk_91 New Member

I can certainly tell he is a steer

When you casturate with a knife if you don’t cut the sack high enough he will definitely make you 2nd guess the situation

A 450 lb calf will have testicles large enough you’ll know without a doubt that he is a bull