Cattle Forum - Your Online Cattle Resource and Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I kept a small flock up till a few months ago. My neighbor has 50+ malnourished chickens, so I gave mine to a friend to take help take care of my neighbors.

I really only kept them for the eggs, which I now have to many of.

Does anyone raise chickens?

·
Registered
74 Posts
We raise Lg Buff Orphington chickens. We love there eggs. We also raise pekin and Indian runner ducks. Their eggs are very big and very good. From early spring to mid fall we are covered up in eggs. We like to donate as many as we can to some of the elderly people around town and just this past year started giving them to a battered woman's shelter we found. If you ask around I'm sure you'll find some people in need that would love farm fresh eggs.

Ps. Duck eggs are harder to get rid of because people do know you can eat them or they think it's weird, bug my wife bakes a lot and duck eggs in a cake will make it way more fluffy and taste great.

Grumpy
GrumpyFarm in Tn

·
Registered
35 Posts
Austin what are you doing with the extra eggs?

and silkies , do they look like this photo I found on the internet? Looks as if they have hair instead of feathers.

They are pretty chickens

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
We raise Lg Buff Orphington chickens. We love there eggs. We also raise pekin and Indian runner ducks. Their eggs are very big and very good. From early spring to mid fall we are covered up in eggs. We like to donate as many as we can to some of the elderly people around town and just this past year started giving them to a battered woman's shelter we found. If you ask around I'm sure you'll find some people in need that would love farm fresh eggs.

Ps. Duck eggs are harder to get rid of because people do know you can eat them or they think it's weird, bug my wife bakes a lot and duck eggs in a cake will make it way more fluffy and taste great.

Grumpy
GrumpyFarm in Tn

Sell them as a specialty, I've heard from a lot of places the key to a perfect pecan pie is fresh duck eggs. Just sell them as
Pecan pie eggs.

·
Registered
74 Posts
My wife sent me this comic. At least now we know why the chicken crossed the road. I'd be able to tell a crappy store bought egg from one of my farm fresh chicken or duck eggs.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hahaha! You know even their "brown organic" eggs in the store aren't the same. I got chickens, well two. And after having them I can't go back to crappy thin shelled store eggs. Not the same at all!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have been to a egg farm to deliver a electric motor one day and couldn't find anyone so I looked around for a few minutes. They had about 20 or so different store egg cartons white to brown funny thing is they all come from same farm

·
Registered
74 Posts
That is weirded, go figure that the stores try to fake people out with their garbage eggs. Thanks for you info.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I raise free range game chikens .they good about folwing the cow herd eating grains in the manure so they spread manure in the fields. I got them to lay their eggs in a lil coop. But I got traps for ***** and possum. Somtimes fox or skunk. Very rarely a coyote will come to the house for a chiken but its happened, at which clik clik bang. Guinea are very good alarm and they also go after snakes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
That is weirded, go figure that the stores try to fake people out with their garbage eggs. Thanks for you info.
I only have 4 hens, but they give us enough eggs for my family of 3. Every weekend I make deviled eggs to use up the eggs that are more than a few days old.

Honestly, if I had wanted to eat old eggs, I would use store-bought!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts