clipping pastures bad?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by fnfarms1, Jun 20, 2015.

1. fnfarms1

fnfarms1 New Member

I recently read an article that said that clipping pastures is bad because after clipping the stems are sharp and near eye level when cows are grazing? Therefore more problems with pinkeye etc. I dismissed it until I had 3 come down with pinkeye 2wks after clipping pasture

2. DoubleR

DoubleR Repro Lover

We mow and harvest fields here then graze them with no problems. Lots of cattle are grazed on cut fields. Fields are cut short though. Maybe yours are cut taller?
    I have more problems with black berry bushes and water grass poking eyes than the cut fields.
    A sticker (foxtails etc) cause more pinkeye problem than anything. Just takes a small irritation and pinkeye sets in.
    Fly's transmit pinkeye too.
    Are you seeing actual pokes when yours are showing up with pinkeye?

3. fnfarms1

fnfarms1 New Member

Mine is approximately 12" tall still. Just clip off the fescue tops to prevent 'fescue foot' and irritation from seeds. Its the way its been done for years. We only 'top' it to keep as much grass even once mature and drying up, so when hot and dry they have roughage to eat. Bermuda comes on but hard to keep up without growth period. Don't see alot of pokes

4. fnfarms1

fnfarms1 New Member

I called the vet to ask advice on treating a bull for pinkeye. Guy at work claims 15cc of nuflor will fix anything, he's used it several years and always cleared it up. Said might do 20-30cc due to bulls size. Vet says he doubts it because nuflor concentrates in the lungs and doubtful but might help pinkeye, doubts it will even phase foot rot. Opinions?

5. DoubleR

DoubleR Repro Lover

Read the label on the Nuflor. If memory serves me that's a small dose for a bull. And always go SQ when it's an option and Nuflor is usable both ways.
    Most rancher around here just hit them hard with LA200 put a patch on and call it good. Nuflors a bit overkill and not intended for pinkeye AND extremely expensive.
    Be sure to check all in the eye lids (under) for a sticker before you release the animal. Tie his head up if necessary. You'd be amazed how many times a sticker is missed and pinkeye just continues to get worse and unseen under a patch. We ALWAYS check for stickers. Just something to think about. :)

6. fnfarms1

fnfarms1 New Member

The guy from work claims 15cc's fixes anything. lol. As for the bull, even if I catch him in the chute, he's to big. The head gate won't close on his neck. Vet had a hydraulic chute is how he caught him to semen test. Hence why I'm hoping to dart him, no real way to hold him to inspect the eye short of tranquilizing him anyway. Looking to nuflor because it'd take 3darts. He's already skidish from the first 3darts. Vet did recommend Microtil which I've used on foot rot. Not eye issues. At the rate I'm going he'll heal by himself, between work, kids and hay season....