Cattle Forum - Your Online Cattle Resource and Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am brand new to raising cattle. I bought 2 heifers to raise and then take to the processor; there are a few of us splitting them. They are brangus and I bought them early in the summer, the seller said they should be ready around December. I have them scheduled to go on 1/4/22. They are just grass feed and I do give them some cattle cubes once a day.

I have heard that I would want to finish them on cracked corn the last month, is that what I really want to do to add marbling and if so, can I just buy deer corn and "crack it".. I have looked at mills on Amazon and the reviews for cracking corn aren't great, so what would I use?

·
Registered
2017 Quarter Horse x Appy mare
54 Posts
Howdy,
Age of these heifers?
I have heard that I would want to finish them on cracked corn the last month, is that what I really want to do to add marbling and if so, can I just buy deer corn and "crack it".. I have looked at mills on Amazon and the reviews for cracking corn aren't great, so what would I use?
Yes, absolutely, to add marbling and make better quality beef overall, you want to feed corn in last month or so. On our ranch, we do it for the last month and a half. Strongly suggesting not to buy the corn on Amazon. Look at local feed stores/Tractor Supply/Grange Co Op or anything of the sort. You can just go to the feed bag section and find corn. If the heifers don't like it plain, add a bit of molasses...Or even if they aren't interested at first.

Happy ranching!

·
Registered
2017 Quarter Horse x Appy mare
54 Posts
We have always used whole corn because that's actually what our personal-once-a-year-slaughter cattle have always preferred, and recommend it to our buyers. Cracked corn works too though!

We use this: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/nutrena-nutrebeef-grower-finisher?cm_vc=-10005 MIXED WITH THIS Not crazy expensive and the cattle love it.

DO keep in mind that finishing corn is not a full source of diet. Keep feeding the same amounts of hay and, if you want, allow them to have a mineral block to lick.

(Also, here is cracked corn if you wanna give that a go)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts