Cattle Forum - Your Online Cattle Resource and Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am brand new to raising cattle. I bought 2 heifers to raise and then take to the processor; there are a few of us splitting them. They are brangus and I bought them early in the summer, the seller said they should be ready around December. I have them scheduled to go on 1/4/22. They are just grass feed and I do give them some cattle cubes once a day.

I have heard that I would want to finish them on cracked corn the last month, is that what I really want to do to add marbling and if so, can I just buy deer corn and "crack it".. I have looked at mills on Amazon and the reviews for cracking corn aren't great, so what would I use?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Quarter Horse x Appy mare
102 Posts
Howdy,
Age of these heifers?
I have heard that I would want to finish them on cracked corn the last month, is that what I really want to do to add marbling and if so, can I just buy deer corn and "crack it".. I have looked at mills on Amazon and the reviews for cracking corn aren't great, so what would I use?
Yes, absolutely, to add marbling and make better quality beef overall, you want to feed corn in last month or so. On our ranch, we do it for the last month and a half. Strongly suggesting not to buy the corn on Amazon. Look at local feed stores/Tractor Supply/Grange Co Op or anything of the sort. You can just go to the feed bag section and find corn. If the heifers don't like it plain, add a bit of molasses...Or even if they aren't interested at first.

Happy ranching!

·
Super Moderator
2017 Quarter Horse x Appy mare
102 Posts
We have always used whole corn because that's actually what our cattle we slaughter for the family prefer, and recommend it to our buyers. Cracked corn works too though!

We use this: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/nutrena-nutrebeef-grower-finisher?cm_vc=-10005 MIXED WITH THIS Not crazy expensive and the cattle love it.

DO keep in mind that finishing corn is not a full source of diet. Keep feeding the same amounts of hay and, if you want, allow them to have a mineral block to lick.

(Also, here is cracked corn if you wanna give that a go)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.