Cattle Forum - Your Online Cattle Resource and Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been given what I think is an amazing opportunity and jump but I know nothing at all . Ok so my father in law calls us over to talk , long talk short he’s done gotten to old (76) to keep up the 8 cattle on 8 acres he has . 5 New Jersey Heifers . 3 of which have calves , one in July one in august and one in September out of the calves one is a bull calf . Now these heifers are thin ribs showing . We’ve put them on 14% and rye grass hay they all have healthy appetites but two mothers are sick . One I seen today had diarrhea the other she want get up at all but eats good when I feed her . The two that have not calved look to be getting fatter one of the mothers seem to be picking up great and another is moving around doing well except for the diarrhea , the the last mother that want her off the ground eats but can’t get up ? The calves seem to be great though. Sorry for the long intro but a week in and I’m loving it just want and need some help to get my girls and boy through the winter. Help please o also I’m a working family man with a newborn so I just don’t have money to blow trying out myths any sure way will help thanks

·
Registered
2017 Quarter Horse x Appy mare
54 Posts
Hello,
How are they doing now? What I got from reading your post was that all 3 cows are thin and one of the heifers has diarrhea although the calves are fine...Is that right?

Put out a bowl of grain and corn (both come in bags at general feed stores: Tractor Supply, Grange Co Op, local feed stores) for the cows to eat to fatten them up. Make sure they eat alfalfa and oat hay. Don't know where you are located, but winter is coming on and you DO NOT want thin first-time mamas out in the cold. Not a good combination.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts