Cattle Forum - Your Online Cattle Resource and Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a calf that is a month and about 2 weeks and I dont know how much alafa hay he is supposed to have? Thanks

·
Repro Lover
554 Posts
I would offer a finer stem soft hay and free choice. If your alfalfa finer stemmed great. Also a calf starter grain. :) Good luck! Raising bottle calves can be so much fun! :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok. I think he is skinney. He doesnt like the alfalfa hay. But will eat timothy hay. Can I try to mixes? Or just strait timothy hay

·
Repro Lover
554 Posts
Is the alfalfa you have big stemmed?
Most vaccinations are given at 2 months (8 weeks) and a booster at 3 months (12 weeks). Most manufacturers state that the vaccinations aren't effective prior to this. REMEMBER TO BOOSTER! It's important for a vaccination to be fully effective. Read your labels. It will tell you exactly when and if a booster is needed. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Try to get a fine stemmed alfalfa hay, he needs the protein and calcium in it for growth. I'd leave the grass hay free choice as others said, and give a serving of alfalfa hay twice a day.

Calves need the nutrients from the alfalfa, but roughage from the grass for rumen development.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts