Cattle Forum - Your Online Cattle Resource and Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a novice when it comes to cattle, but living in the Inland Empire of Southern California, I frequent the many dairy farms in the area so my grandchildren can appreciate these great creatures.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We take the Granddaughter out to see the cows at least once a week. She really gets a kick out of them, and I talk to them. They seem to enjoy it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hello

There are cows in various fields around here. I've got to get a photo to see what they are.

Do you kill and butcher your own cows, or have someone else do it for you?

·
Registered
155 Posts
My best advice....Go slow. Buy 3-4 head with cash and learn on them. After 2 years, slowly increase the size of your herd. Would you rather make a mistake on 3 cows or 30?

The farmers who lose their shirts are the ones who go into deep debt for animals and equipment and have a drought/illness/something that impact their cash flow so they can't make the payments.

Read some good books. Anything by Heather Smith Thomas is VERY good. Her Storey's Guide to Raising Beef Cattle will really familiarize you with the ins and outs of raising animals.

Take some classes at your local extension agency.

http://www.cattleforum.com/entries/Wannabe-Farmers-Reading-List.html

Farming is not a get rich quick scheme. It takes lots of time to learn what you need to know. My family's been doing it for years and we're still learning stuff.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts