Cattle Forum - Your Online Cattle Resource and Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have 30 beef cattle and one of the cows had a calf overnight unexpectedly. The cows previous two calves died because her udders get too large and they can’t nurse. Around 1pm, husband noticed that she had the calf and it wasn’t able to feed either so we took her in the barn and she ate 2 quarts of powdered colostrum around 3pm.
My husband has a lot of experience with cattle but not the bleeding heart I have. I went back to the farm to try feeding her another bottle around 8pm, but she wouldn’t suck. She wouldn’t even suck on my fingers.
What can I do to help her? I’m going to try feeding her again around 3am. Any advice is welcome. I don’t know much about cattle, so please be kind. Thanks

· Registered
6 Posts
I had a bum bottle calf like that a few years ago.
Rubbing the top of their mouth stimulates them to suck, as does putting milk in their mouths. Also putting the nipple in the mouth and manually squirting it can help.
The thing that saved “Pollie” was to do basically all of those things,and then have someone straddle her and wag her tail at the same time.
Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts