Cattle Forum - Your Online Cattle Resource and Community banner

Help, need advice for bottle fed calf

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  mstahl 
#1 ·
We have 30 beef cattle and one of the cows had a calf overnight unexpectedly. The cows previous two calves died because her udders get too large and they can’t nurse. Around 1pm, husband noticed that she had the calf and it wasn’t able to feed either so we took her in the barn and she ate 2 quarts of powdered colostrum around 3pm.
My husband has a lot of experience with cattle but not the bleeding heart I have. I went back to the farm to try feeding her another bottle around 8pm, but she wouldn’t suck. She wouldn’t even suck on my fingers.
What can I do to help her? I’m going to try feeding her again around 3am. Any advice is welcome. I don’t know much about cattle, so please be kind. Thanks

#2 ·
I had a bum bottle calf like that a few years ago.
Rubbing the top of their mouth stimulates them to suck, as does putting milk in their mouths. Also putting the nipple in the mouth and manually squirting it can help.
The thing that saved “Pollie” was to do basically all of those things,and then have someone straddle her and wag her tail at the same time.
Good luck!

#5 ·
Woe to those of us that must endure the bottle calf. I can't begin to count over the past twenty or so years here in Alaska how many calves I have tried to convince to stay alive against their best efforts to die. The few techniques I have found to be most successful are to keep them warm, very warm, on the verge of hot using a calf warming box. Using corn syrup, I have tickled the roof of their mouths to stimulate the nursing response. An esophageal (sp?) feeder works if you know how to get the tube into its stomach and not its lungs. Lacking an esophageal feeder a syringe (no needle) can be used to feed small amounts of colostrum, which is really all that is needed. Bull calves seem to have a stronger will to live than do heifer calves. I think the real key to success is making sure that the calf's body temperature does not drop below about 101 degrees. Put your finger between its cheek and gum and If it feels cool get it warmed up fast. Until it is warm nothing will work, then keep it warm. I have had calves warmed up, eating, pooping and peeing like normal for a day or so, then lose body and die in 12 hours. It can be very frustrating and discouraging but very much worth the effort when it survives. Good luck and do not give up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.