Cattle Forum - Your Online Cattle Resource and Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ya'll I'm in the SE and have pretty good grass most of the year.

So if I wanted a couple of the smaller breeds of cows, do you have any general idea of how much it might cost for other feed and needs?

I have a small shed type barn for some storage, do they need more than that?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
155 Posts
well, we cut our own hay, so I don't have a price on that.

We're in the south in Middle TN and don't have any structure for the cows to routinely access. We do have a small spot where we can put them if they are sick, but in 8 yrs of cattle raising, we've only had cows in the barn overnight a handful of times. Most of the time if they can get out of the wind (even a row of hay bales or a treed area will work) they do just fine, esp. if they are a hardy european breed. Think about it. Black Angus are a scottish breed. They are bred for long cold winters. In fact, the cows are bothered more by the heat than the cold. Shade is something that they do need. So a tree or pole barn will be great.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry I've been so long coming back. Life just gets in the way.

I have right at an acre and a half. I don't sell any of the growth, just have it grow up in tall grass during the season and get a bushhog type mower to knock it down a couple of times a season.

That's why I thought a couple of cows might be good on it and I could have some use of the land via the cattle and a roast in the winter.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I would start with one and see how hong your feed lasts. If feed just hay my 2000+lb bull eats around 50 -60 lb of hay a day to give you some idea. I dont know if you have lowline cattle in your area they are a small version of Angus cattle and are suited to small holdings and will eat less per head .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.