Is she ready??

Discussion in 'Breeding and Calving' started by jpartin1976, Jan 19, 2016.

1. jpartin1976

jpartin1976 New Member

Hi everyone!

I have a beef cow (charlais/angus cross). We bought her last summer and the previous owner let us know she had a dead baby last year during an ice storm. She is 2-3 years old, but really still looked like a heifer udder-wise (just nubs). In fact, I have question whether she had a dead baby or a miscarriage. She really did not look like a cow. Vet said she was 4 months pregnant in August. So...she should be ready to calve sometime this month. Up until the last couple of weeks she had no udder development that we noticed. We kept looking -- nothing. We almost gave up looking thinking there was something really wrong with her.

Just as we had nearly given up, she started developing an udder -- yay! Now, it's not huge....certainly not like a milk cow, but it's definitely an udder. She has also become swollen and floppy in the back. She has become floppy in the last week or so...

Now, I know I should be looking for a full udder and strutting teats....but she is a beef cow, not dairy. It's just so weird. Her back end looks like she is ready and personality wise, she seems ready -- but while she has developed a small udder, her teats are not full.

Can anyone help me figure out this beef momma?

[​IMG]

and the following pic was taken about 1 day after the first pic.... see even more change....
    [​IMG]

http://i972.photobucket.com/albums/...085_180295802327702_6410785805182148985_o.jpg

Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
  2. saskcattle

saskcattle New Member

I had a cow that's bag wouldn't tighten up until she calved but she ended up being a hell of a Milker. She had a bigger bag than this heifer just it never filled till calf was on ground. But by looking at these pictures I wouldn't expect her to be a very good Milker just my opinion. But see how she makes out with this calf if doesn't raise a big calf I'd sell her

3. jpartin1976

jpartin1976 New Member

yes...I agree.
    We already have her pegged for sale if 1. she doesn't have a healthy calf and 2. if she's unable to care for the calf.

Like I said....if she's had a calf before (whether stillbirth or a baby that died), you sure couldn't tell. Up until December she only had nubs like a heifer. Now she definitely has something, but just so small. What udder she has...has developed recently...and now within the last week her vulva is becoming super loose. So, I'm not sure whether we should be expecting a baby any day or if she just has more time.

The vet said on August 19th that she was 4 months. Does her back end look like she's ready? I'd hate to keep thinking she's got more time (based on her udder) and have her calve when we aren't paying attention. She's definitely one we need to know when it's coming...

4. jpartin1976

jpartin1976 New Member

oh and she isn't a milker -- she's beef. I hope she can produce enough to feed her calf only. sigh:(

5. saskcattle

saskcattle New Member

She looks pretty loose in the back end I'd say she isn't far from calving. I knew she is beef, when I said a milker I just meant she produces lots of milk for her calf. Not dairy kinda milker

6. jpartin1976

jpartin1976 New Member

gotcha!
    Yeah...I'm sure she won't be...hopefully it will be enough for her calf... that's all we need. She still hasn't changed today so for now it's just a wait game. We are dying to see a live, healthy baby.

7. basfordcattleco

basfordcattleco New Member

Angus bags dont get very big at all

8. jpartin1976

jpartin1976 New Member

9. charloisfarmer

charloisfarmer New Member

Yeah we had an angus just a small cow with a smaller udder but she always raised big calves right when the calf dropped she would fill out good luck and hope the calf does fine he looks like he'll be a good calf

10. charloisfarmer

charloisfarmer New Member

And charlois have nice bags

11. tnsalersbreeder

tnsalersbreeder Cattle GURU!

She looks to be about 8 months bred to me! Milk sometimes doesn't drop fully into the utter until just a few hours before calving. She is springing for sure. About 24-36 hours before calving you will see a little discharge coming from back there. There's been some that I knew were nine months bred and so dang fat that I was sure they were going to fart and a calf pop out! But they calved on their own time on their own schedule usually they decided on dropping one the day after its been sunny and 60 instead they decide to drop it on a rainy day in the 20s. Dumb cows! Lol!

12. tnsalersbreeder

We had an Angus cow that was probably 900 pounds soak and wet at the heaviest bred. She was a itty bitty cow but held her confirmation and never weaned a calf that weighed under 700 at 205 weaning ever. Had a small bag and small teats! The calves shed wean were nearly as tall as her lol!

13. tnsalersbreeder

That's the trouble with those chars gotta pull alot of em!

We've had over 250 calves born on our farm in the last 10 yrs. We've had to assist two heifers!

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  14. jpartin1976

jpartin1976 New Member

No...she was ready to give birth. She had the calf 2 days after I posted this thread. Her milk didn't drop until about 2 hours after baby was born. All is well -- the calf is super sweet and healthy. In fact, we are calve-watching on another. Busy time!

15. tnsalersbreeder

Yeah I saw that after I'd posted!