Cattle Forum - Your Online Cattle Resource and Community banner

New calves

17K views 24 replies 2 participants last post by  Patrickdaley 
#1 ·
Hi im new to the app i just bought 6 new calves (angus,2 herefords,2 limousines and a simmental) all cross holstein. There roughly 4-5 months old each. There on grass and eating adlib meal. There is one limousine that is very thin. (she had scours) but shes still extremely thin. Any tips on fattening them up

#3 ·
Hi yes i bought them at the mart. I havent wormed them yet as they have only been on grass a couple weeks. And they have been tested for tb and the results for that im worried about. They are all heifers. They have access to water all the time. A few of them got ringworm too and it is quite bad. Is the rimgworm worth trying to get rid of or should i just leave it be

#5 · (Edited)
For future reference you should always quarantine new animals. ESPECIALLY ones bought at auction. Auction yards are like sick wards in a hospital. Those calves have been exposed to ALL KINDS of stuff. Now the pasture they are on has also.
Wormer and vaccinations should be the 1st thing done with incoming cattle of unknown heard health. They are shedding any parasite eggs they are producing on the pasture they are on right now.
Have these heifers been Bangs vaccinated? Do they have a small metal tag in the top of their ear?
Ringworm isn't something that anyone around here worries about. It will run its course and go away. Are you sure it's ringworm or could it be lice?

#19 ·
Oh ok.
Hardware disease is where they consume pieces of metal, fencing, pieces of metal from a pasture, from hay, etc.
It travels threw the gut and stops in a stomach chamber and punctures the stomach wall. Can puncture other organs as well.
General practice is to insert a magnet into each cow/calf. That magnet stops in the first chamber/stomach and any metal consumed sticks to that magnet preventing it from going further and in the long run killing that cow/calf.
Diarrhea is a symptom of hardware disease. Which in turn shows the weight loss.
Wood Insect Arthropod Gas Parasite

These magnets were taken out of a pair of steers that a client was raising. The cleaner one is out of a home raised steer we butchered the same day. As you can see there is A LOT of metal on the one. Brown Eye Wood Trunk Art
Heres the two (client) steers magnets side by side.
Turns out they got a load of hay with A LOT of junk in it. There pasture wasn't the cleanest either. Lots of very old fence pieces buried in the ground.
There growth ended up stunted in the long run but they did dress out ok at butcher. If we didn't put magnets in every animal we produce they would have lost those steers for sure.

Attachments

#21 ·
Well I don't know about that ;) Been around cows for a few days ;) Lots of research and figuring stuff out. Have learned a lot over the years.
Been fortunate to work with many great ranchers and vets.
Speaking of! Have you got to know your local large animal vet yet? Having a good working relationship with a good vet or vets is worth more than anything.
Keep us posted on how they are doing. :)

#23 ·
Vet was out yesterday. Its not a waste disease (thank god) but she has a pretty bad chest infection and so far shes not doing too well. I have her on an antibiotic. and a steroid to give her that extra boost she needs. Things are looking a bit better so im holding out hope that she will pull through

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.