Cattle Forum - Your Online Cattle Resource and Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are in north Oklahoma and have 16 cows and about 80 goats. Last weekend one of our old cows died and left us with a 4 week old bottle baby. It started trying to get scours a few days ago but has firmed up again. She nibbles some food and takes her bottle pretty good now.
I think she is doing good now. I wish she would learn to drink more water from the bucket.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Quarter Horse x Appy mare
102 Posts
We are in north Oklahoma and have 16 cows and about 80 goats. Last weekend one of our old cows died and left us with a 4 week old bottle baby. It started trying to get scours a few days ago but has firmed up again. She nibbles some food and takes her bottle pretty good now.
I think she is doing good now. I wish she would learn to drink more water from the bucket.

Welcome! Your little heifer is beautiful. Sorry to hear the mama died, but glad little baby is doing better.

To teach her to drink from the bucket, start doing a little less milk in bottle, with the leftovers in the bucket. You should show it to her, and eventually she will find it and learn to lick it out. Also for her to learn to drink water from the bucket, make it more appealing to her. Add a little bit of molasses to the water and she should gladly drink it.

What is the heifer's name?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome! Your little heifer is beautiful. Sorry to hear the mama died, but glad little baby is doing better.

To teach her to drink from the bucket, start doing a little less milk in bottle, with the leftovers in the bucket. You should show it to her, and eventually she will find it and learn to lick it out. Also for her to learn to drink water from the bucket, make it more appealing to her. Add a little bit of molasses to the water and she should gladly drink it.

What is the heifer's name?
Dolly is her name. She was a 4 week old pasture calf that was not tame at all. 8 weeks now.
I walk her everyday with a halter and she is a lot more friendly now Weighed 170 last week. She drinks quite a bit of water out of her bucket. Probably 1.5 gallons. She eats grass but won’t eat alfalfa hay. She will eat some prairie hay. I give her a quart bowl of the textured calf starter in the morning after her bottle, again at noon, and again at night. She polishes it off and wants more. I worry that she would eat too much if I put too much out. I kept 6 heifers last year and was going to sell this years crop. But I am kind of partial to Dolly and would like to keep her.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts