New Record High Choice Boxed Beef at $263.81 cwt

Discussion in 'General Cattle Discussion' started by Markwright, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Markwright

Markwright Junior Member

on Wednesday last week.
    The old record high was July 31, 2014 at $263.66 cwt..

Beef Demand is Obviously Strong.

2. rene

rene New Member

263 for wat weight. I see over 4 $ for steers @ 2oo lbs

3. Markwright

Markwright Junior Member

cwt is the abbreviation for " per 100 pounds, "

boxes are generally 50 to 60 lbs total .... typical example is a box of sirloins say 12 lbs and down. so those will be 12 lb and down sirloins ( individually vaccu wrapped say 5 per box )

4. rene

rene New Member

Oh butcher $ ok

5. Markwright

Markwright Junior Member

rene, basically you have the live

Cash reported ( to usda ) price...I call that 168 to $172 cwt last week.

Then there's the reported Dressed Price ( hanging on the rail, or sold dressed ).,

Then there's the composite / boxed price.

Truly though MOST cattle are sold by "formula" in the usa.
    Formula is non reported ( because those are supposedly sold "after the Cash reported fact ).

btw, keep that sense of humor...cause it's the only thing that Works in this bitness. MO

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
  6. rene

rene New Member

How long do you think these prices are going to stay at this level before people get fed up with a high price like the gasoline if that were to happen. I still sea calf prices week to week at the logo stockyard well I'm a little higher and a little higher. Raising bottle babies I have seen that it does not matter what breed of cattle you put through that black all black will give you the dollar for a 200 pound calf up to 600 pounds.

7. rene

rene New Member

People keep saying oh we got a couple of years before it tops out. What happens then it starts going down to rock bottom flight prices and I don't really see that happening I think all this is going to do is going to weed out the cattle ranchers from the wannabes

8. Markwright

Markwright Junior Member

There's a LOT of "Room" in Beef,

IF fat cattle Double in price to say $350cwt live cash, that puts the cost of beef in a quarter pound burger at a whole $2 total.

currently the afore cost is $1 per burger.

the bothersome thing is that there are basically only 4 beef packers in the usa.

3 of those have 1 million cattle per day on feed Each.

sooooo why not discount the paper market say $25 under cash fat cattle?

that way, few to No farmer feeders will be able to forward contract cattle at a profit.

thus feeder cattle would drop in price significantly to fill those packer lots at Cheap cattle costs.

I tend to feel cattle will Triple in price over the next 3 years.
    plenty of Pacific Basin dough that would love to own some More of the usa packing complex...sooo that's competition.