Cattle Forum - Your Online Cattle Resource and Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on Wednesday last week.
The old record high was July 31, 2014 at $263.66 cwt..

Beef Demand is Obviously Strong.

·
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cwt is the abbreviation for " per 100 pounds, "

boxes are generally 50 to 60 lbs total .... typical example is a box of sirloins say 12 lbs and down. so those will be 12 lb and down sirloins ( individually vaccu wrapped say 5 per box )

263 for wat weight. I see over 4 $ for steers @ 2oo lbs

·
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
rene, basically you have the live

Cash reported ( to usda ) price...I call that 168 to $172 cwt last week.

Then there's the reported Dressed Price ( hanging on the rail, or sold dressed ).,

Then there's the composite / boxed price.

Truly though MOST cattle are sold by "formula" in the usa.
Formula is non reported ( because those are supposedly sold "after the Cash reported fact ).

btw, keep that sense of humor...cause it's the only thing that Works in this bitness. MO

Oh butcher $ ok

·
Registered
297 Posts
How long do you think these prices are going to stay at this level before people get fed up with a high price like the gasoline if that were to happen. I still sea calf prices week to week at the logo stockyard well I'm a little higher and a little higher. Raising bottle babies I have seen that it does not matter what breed of cattle you put through that black all black will give you the dollar for a 200 pound calf up to 600 pounds.

·
Registered
297 Posts
People keep saying oh we got a couple of years before it tops out. What happens then it starts going down to rock bottom flight prices and I don't really see that happening I think all this is going to do is going to weed out the cattle ranchers from the wannabes

·
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There's a LOT of "Room" in Beef,

IF fat cattle Double in price to say $350cwt live cash, that puts the cost of beef in a quarter pound burger at a whole $2 total.

currently the afore cost is $1 per burger.

the bothersome thing is that there are basically only 4 beef packers in the usa.

3 of those have 1 million cattle per day on feed Each.

sooooo why not discount the paper market say $25 under cash fat cattle?

that way, few to No farmer feeders will be able to forward contract cattle at a profit.

thus feeder cattle would drop in price significantly to fill those packer lots at Cheap cattle costs.

I tend to feel cattle will Triple in price over the next 3 years.
plenty of Pacific Basin dough that would love to own some More of the usa packing complex...sooo that's competition.

How long do you think these prices are going to stay at this level before people get fed up with a high price like the gasoline if that were to happen. I still sea calf prices week to week at the logo stockyard well I'm a little higher and a little higher. Raising bottle babies I have seen that it does not matter what breed of cattle you put through that black all black will give you the dollar for a 200 pound calf up to 600 pounds.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts