Opinions on Lowline

Discussion in 'General Cattle Discussion' started by Terry, Feb 18, 2017.

1. Terry

Terry New Member

Curious to your opinions, I live in East Texas and have approximately 50 acres that I currenty raise Brangus. Neighbor has been talking to me about his registered low line angus bull offering him to me. Not sure of the market in this area, should I consider a move to lowline due to the ease of working with them and meat yield or stick with proven brangus? Pros and cons from you guys please

2. alexsbuddy

alexsbuddy New Member

Terry, I am in SW MO and am also considering Lowline Angus for my 60 acres. I have talked to several lowline owners and like what I am hearing. I intend to do a small cow-calf operation by starting with a couple of heifers and building my herd from there. Not sure of the market in your area, but I believe lowline will be a good choice for me. Hoping to pick up my first pair this coming weekend.

3. smokey-calves

smokey-calves New Member

I've also considered getting into lowline cattle.

What I've researched is getting moderator mothers. That is a lowline crossed with an angus. I tend to cross them with charolais and sell calves as market calves.

Best of both worlds: efficient cows, maximum output with calves.

4. mercylaneangus

mercylaneangus New Member

I'm just joining in on the conversation as I've heard a lot abut lowlines and want to see what everyone thinks.

alexsbuddy - did you end up picking up a pair?

5. alexsbuddy

alexsbuddy New Member

Hi, mercylaneangus. Yes, I picked up my first two lowline angus heifers yesterday. They are both fullbloods, 22 months old, and are probably bred. They have been exposed to a 56.25% registered lowline bull since late August 2016. Today I vaccinated both of them for blackleg and lepto....first time for me, but it went very well. I have kept them restricted to the barnyard, but will introduce them to the pasture tomorrow.

6. alexsbuddy

alexsbuddy New Member

The girls were introduced to the pasture today and seemed to be very happy. They went exploring, checked out the pond, stopped for a snack here and there, and then made their way back to the barnyard gate. I let them back in, but will turn them loose on the pasture all day tomorrow. Hopefully, I can condition them to come into the barnyard each night. It would certainly make me rest easier if they bunked down each night in more secure surroundings.

7. mercylaneangus

mercylaneangus New Member

Thanks for the follow-up alexsbuddy. Good to hear they are adjusting well.

8. alexsbuddy

alexsbuddy New Member

Just found out the other day that both of my heifers are 4 to 5 months pregnant. Thought they were, but wanted to be sure. Sire is a registered moderator lowline. Also, picked up another addition....another fullblood first calf heifer. She has not been bred back so I will be able to get all three girls on the same AI schedule.