Cattle Forum - Your Online Cattle Resource and Community banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have 3 bottle babies right now, all mini Jerseys. Our smallest calf has started aspirating her milk. She has struggled since we got her, and have accepted we will need to put her down if needed. I've had to tube her maybe 5 times over the last 6 weeks, all went smoothly. She will make improvements and then ten steps back. I've given her antibiotics on 3 occasions. Despite not drinking much milk, she isn't entirely skin and bones (but close). She eats hay and calf pellets, and drinks water (although aspirates it too). Has anyone encountered this and the calf recovered? I feel like she just isn't able to keep fluids out of her lungs. I'm not afraid of tube feeding, but also worried it will only cause more damage and weaken any chance of her muscles doing what they are supposed to. She is currently 6.5 weeks old. Any advice is welcome. I want to get her more nutrients, don't want to do damage, OR just put her out if it isn't something that she's likely to come back from. Thank you in advance!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts