Pot bellied/bloated calves

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by nwcattleco, Oct 19, 2020.

1. nwcattleco

nwcattleco New Member

Howdy Everyone,

New to this forum and new to raising livestock. We've been row crop farmers over the last 10 years but decided to diversify a little. We purchased a small herd that came with 4 cow calves (Angus/limousine cross). The calves were born around March and weaned in July. A bit early for our liking but they had already arrived at our place so we decided to give them a go. They were sickly in the beginning but after some shots, they bounced back and adapted to the pasture very nicely over the last 90 days. We rotated them to a different plot and they had access to a good bit of alfalfa and grain pellets, which may have caused them to get bloated. Alfalfa and pellets have been removed, now they just have access to tall fescue grass.

3 of 4 currently look very stuffed but aren't showing any signs of pain (no stomach kicking, etc.) and are eating/drinking just fine. Bowels look normal too. Based on these pictures, do you folks think a vet should come out and take a gander at them or do we wait it out a bit longer?

I appreciate all your help. I looked over some of the other posts and couldn't find an exact answer. However, the 2 threads right before my post about pot belly calves helped a decent bit.

111.jpg Screen Shot 2020-10-19 at 9.37.12 AM.jpg Screen Shot 2020-10-19 at 9.37.25 AM.jpg