Cattle Forum - Your Online Cattle Resource and Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy Everyone,

New to this forum and new to raising livestock. We've been row crop farmers over the last 10 years but decided to diversify a little. We purchased a small herd that came with 4 cow calves (Angus/limousine cross). The calves were born around March and weaned in July. A bit early for our liking but they had already arrived at our place so we decided to give them a go. They were sickly in the beginning but after some shots, they bounced back and adapted to the pasture very nicely over the last 90 days. We rotated them to a different plot and they had access to a good bit of alfalfa and grain pellets, which may have caused them to get bloated. Alfalfa and pellets have been removed, now they just have access to tall fescue grass.

3 of 4 currently look very stuffed but aren't showing any signs of pain (no stomach kicking, etc.) and are eating/drinking just fine. Bowels look normal too. Based on these pictures, do you folks think a vet should come out and take a gander at them or do we wait it out a bit longer?

I appreciate all your help. I looked over some of the other posts and couldn't find an exact answer. However, the 2 threads right before my post about pot belly calves helped a decent bit.

Plant Vertebrate Tree Working animal Mammal Eye Working animal Terrestrial animal Natural landscape Grazing Eye Working animal Plant Natural landscape Grazing

·
Registered
2017 Quarter Horse x Appy mare
43 Posts
I know this is late but...

For future reference, no. I don't believe the vet needed to come out to take a look at them...Is it possible they were accidentally bred?
Just by photos, they look like they just have 'hay belly'. Which basically means they ate a whole bunch and got a bit bloated full of light airy food.

One of our 2 cows that are kept more as pasture pets and more friendly than the rest of our herd (~1800 head) had her calf almost 2 months ago and the past week has been getting hay belly. She is bloated but we will keep her and her steer calf and her friend (2nd heifer) in a pen close to the house at night. They will have hay for the night and she looks bloated with hay belly right before we head in to kick back, but in the morning she is back to normal...Possibly gascious.

What do you feed them?
Are they heifers or steers or bull calves?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts