Cattle Forum - Your Online Cattle Resource and Community banner

Scours Advice

13K views 23 replies 3 participants last post by  redneckgurl_13 
#1 ·
Hey guys! I have 2 Jersey bottle babies right now, about 5-6 days old and I think they may have scours. The thing is, I can't be sure because the only symptom is the yellow, runny stool. Other than that they're eating fine, getting up and walking around, even running and bucking here and there. They definitely look healthy. I've started putting eggs in their bottles and may put some pepto bismol in them tmrw just to be on the safe side. But I'm a but inexperienced with this, so what do you guys think? I've been asking a friend of mine for advice but I'm still unsure. Could their tummies just be upset from switching from their mommas milk to replacer? Should I be worried?

#3 ·
She's super cute!
Got a pic of her stool?
How much replacer are you feeding and how often?
Soy or Milk Based replacer?
No temperature?
Yes a switch from moms milk to replacer or changing replacers will upset their tummy. So will over feeding. Best is to slowly transition over from one milk to another.

#4 ·
I'm feeding her and my bull calf two bottle a day (2qt bottles) once in the morning before school and one when I get home. I don't have a picture of her stool right now but can get one tomorrow. Idk her temp and I'm pretty sure her replacer is milk based but I'll double check in the morning

#5 ·
You are over feeding them. At 5-6 days old they should only be getting 1-2 pints per feeding. 3 times a day is best for the 1st two weeks or so.
I'd probably be feeding them 2 pints 2x daily in your situation. Not ideal but at least they are over a week old.
That's what's causing your loose stool. It's common to over feed. Drop them down and I'll bet (pending no other issues) they will clear right up.
Do they beg for more after they finish eating? They should be begging for more when they are done.
Also provide a good starter grain and a small stem hay.

#8 ·
Turns out my replacer is soy based..it was on sale so I must have overlooked it in my excitement to get it cheaper, lol. But I also realized that it's the Country Lane stuff from Orschelns and you're supposed to feed Premium until they are three weeks of age and then move up to Deluxe but I'm giving them Deluxe...could that be a problem? Or will they be okay on it? Because I kinda stocked up on it..I'm a beginner like I said, so I guess I've learned from my mistakes and I'll know for next time!

#9 ·
The stool doesn't look terrible yet. I would not panic at that stool at all.
Calves just don't do well on soy based replacer. They won't grow well and it can cause scours but doesn't always.
If possible I would see about returning your extra bags and replacing it with a milk based replacer. Your already using a bag so it's a perfect opportunity to slowly transition off the soy to the milk base when you get low on the current bag.
I am not familiar with that replacer so I have no idea what the difference is between them but if they are continuing to do fine on what you have and not scour up id continue to feed it.

#13 ·
Okay, I'll remember to get those next time I'm at the farm supply store! Also, have you ever put eggs in your bottle calves milk? I've heard it's good for them, and have been putting some in their bottles for added protein/nutrients

Personally no. I have heard people do it and I know it is an old school method but as a personal choice I don't. I feel confident (from results) that my replacer has what my calves are needing. I have done a good deal of research on replacers over the years as well as trial and error. I'm not a fan of adding raw animal products to my calves/cattle's diet.
Having said that! Lol! Some replacers and probiotics do have egg/ products in them.
So for me I stay with a good quality replacer and if I have concerns of scours etc I'll give a good probiotic. Vitamins B for appetite and energy.
You'll find what works for you. :) Every animal is different. We learn something from almost every one.
The key to healthy calves is reasonable temps, if in a barn- no drafts, good milk, no sudden changes in milk and quantities. The rest is the little stuff. :)

#14 ·
Okay! Their stools don't look yellow anymore, so I must have just been over feeding them. As soon as I lowered the amount I fed, they cleared up real quick. They're as happy as ever, have even been getting them used to their halters and letting them walk around outside the barn and they seem to enjoy it!:)

#17 ·
Thank you! And I was able to lead him on his halter pretty far today without hardly any resistance! My heifer, on the other hand, is still quite small and when she resists she pulls so hard she loses her balance and falls. So I'm waiting a little bit for her to get a bit bigger and stronger so she can keep her balance, and won't get herself hurt

#21 ·
The rope ones tighten and sometimes don't un-tighten on their own. Can cause big problems if your not watching.
Be sure not to get a flat lead rope. They get stuck between their claws and cause injuries when they pull.
Good luck! I'm also halter breaking a bottle baby right now. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.