Sick baby calf!

Discussion in 'Dairy Cattle Discussion' started by dairylover, Mar 14, 2014.

1. dairylover

dairylover New Member

We have been having sick calves all year so far and we just cant seem to make them get better. They get scours and droopy ears, what do you treat this with?

2. Fairfarmhand

Fairfarmhand Member

I get a sulfa bolus from the vet to treat the scours as soon as they start drooping. It really helps. I've also gotten really good at tubing them with electrolytes if they won't take it from a bottle. Keeping them hydrated is key. Don't feed electrolytes with milk. Wait an hour or 2 after you give electrolytes to feed milk. Keep them warm and dry and try to keep the sick ones away from the others if possible.

3. DoubleR

DoubleR Repro Lover

Can we have a bit more info?
    Bottle calves or calves on mom?
    If bottle calves, what and how much are you feeding?

4. RanchWife

RanchWife New Member

5. rene

rene New Member

I was able to bring one back from near death with this drench. I used a syringe w/o needle. 3 to 4 times a day per dose. Put water in syringe to give him water. He did not wat or drink nothing for 3 days only wat I would force with syringe. Stand him up as many times u can through out the day. On 3Rd night he was officially down. 1 rst thing next morning. He looked at me. I stood him up. HE WALKED 10 FEET! yes! Right now we call him lazarus. Alive and running. I forgot I gave him la200 3 days in a row.

Attached Files:

6. dairylover

dairylover New Member

Ok thanks guys :) we bottle feed them after we take them away from there mothers. We milk the cows so have to.

7. Krooked_S

Krooked_S New Member

For scours we give Specto guard for pigs about 20mL or sulfa bolus and used bounce back to rehydrate. We used draxxin on a couple of calves that got down with a respiratory problems.