Cattle Forum - Your Online Cattle Resource and Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pb drought master bull who is about 2 and he's super quiet but he will not go in the cattle crush, we wanted to weigh him and put fly tags in but nothing we did worked, as soon as he gets close he backs off and short of using a prod which I'm hesitant to do as he will go but then we probably will never get him back in the yard and forcing a 950kg bull to do something is not easy! Any tricks that I could use would be great !

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes we also tried leading him in with food but that didn't work either, normally he will follow the bucket anywhere

·
Registered
15 Posts
Can u put a gate at the end of the alley and put a bucket with feed in it in the alley and when he comes to it move the bucket enough to shut the gate and latch it some how behind him?

·
Repro Lover
554 Posts
I think your about out of options short of a spanking with a cattle paddle or cattle prod. This is a common problem with pet like cattle.
You may want to improve on your corral design a bit for the future. Add a "better" alleyway (longer maybe?) or a tub so he has no option but forward.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Cows can be spooked or confused by the strangest things. Have you checked for shadows across the alley? They have poor depth perception and can think it is a cliff or drop off. How about chains clinking close by? They have good hearing but can't pinpoint the source too well. They also usually focus on one thing at a time. Is everyone else quiet and out of sight??and SOME use of the prod can be helpful but for me it is a last resort and I never carry it in my hand but to use it and put it down.

·
Cattle GURU!
130 Posts
Can u put a gate at the end of the alley and put a bucket with feed in it in the alley and when he comes to it move the bucket enough to shut the gate and latch it some how behind him?

Put a feed trough in there shake the bucket and let him see you dump the feed in. Walk away and watch after a while he will go in there at some point in time.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts