Thinking About Getting Dairy Calves

Discussion in 'Dairy Cattle Discussion' started by cowfarmer, Mar 19, 2015.

1. cowfarmer

cowfarmer New Member

I am thinking about getting a couple dairy calves to raise for the summer then sell them in the fall any suggestion on what to do to make them fatter such as leave them as Bulls or will I break even

2. DoubleR

DoubleR Repro Lover

Thread moved to proper section

3. DoubleR

DoubleR Repro Lover

Have you raised calves before?
    Now's a tough time financially to learn. Calf prices are at record highs. Success rate is low for most. Especially newbie's.
    Do you have a reputable place to buy started calves at?

4. cowfarmer

cowfarmer New Member

I have had experience raising calves with my grandpa and been reading some of your techniques my dad told me there is a black angus Holstein cross at his work it's a heifer so thinkin about buying a bull along with it to sell in the fall so I can support the heifer for the winter my grandpa has spare bales and my dad is gonna help me on my way

5. DoubleR

DoubleR Repro Lover

Sounds great!
    Black angus X Holstein is a highly sought after cross at market right now. Seems around 500-600 pounds is optimum weight for auction. They finish out bigger.
    De-horn and castrate for the highest price. Check your area market to be sure that it's the same for your area. Most places are reporting the same.
    Be sure to know why she's available if you decide to keep for breeding. She could be a freemartin.
    Keep a high quality calf starter in front of them and a fine stem hay. Stick to milk base replacer and don't over feed. If you do these things they will grow well.
    I just took a couple Holstein bottle calved to market this week and topped the Holstein sale prices with them. Couldn't tell they were bottle calves and they were nice and fleshy. Made good money on them ;) Shocked the buyer when I told him they were bottle calves.
    Good luck! Don't be afraid to ask ?'s :)

6. cowfarmer

cowfarmer New Member

I am planning on breeding her to a neighbour of my grandpas mostly redangus my dad is planning on getting a nurse cow I hope this works I'll tell you if I buy her but do you think I should buy the bull calf to sell in the fall?

7. DoubleR

DoubleR Repro Lover

Be sure she's not a twin (freemartin) to a bull calf if you can.
    I would get the bull calf if the price is reasonable. Probably pay for the heifer and both's raising costs when you sell him.

8. cowfarmer

cowfarmer New Member

No my dad saw the birth it's at a dairy so should work out I am 12 and love my cows so I hope I can get them do you think I should sell the bull lokally as grass fed beef

9. DoubleR

DoubleR Repro Lover

Then he knows she'll be good! That's a benefit!
    Good for you! That's awesome! And your researching BEFORE you get going on it! Most adults fail to do that ;)
    I think you should steer and dehorn him as soon as possible and sell him however you can. Dairy Bulls can be extremely dangerous. If you can sell him as grass fed that might increase his value. Remember deworming and vaccinations.
    What state do you live in? Maybe someone from your area can give you more information on the best way to sell and the proper vaccinations in your area. You'll want to vaccinate your heifer also. There are a lot of diseases out there including breeding diseases. Keep them both healthy and happy. Will pay off. :)

10. cowfarmer

cowfarmer New Member

I live in saskatchewan Canada

11. DoubleR

DoubleR Repro Lover

We have some other member closer to you. Hopefully they will chime in and give you some advice. :)

12. cowfarmer

cowfarmer New Member

Thanks for the help

13. Muskrat

Muskrat New Member

Good luck with your cows.

It takes a lot of thinking to be a farmer, no matter the size of the operation. You're doing that, so you're on your way. Talk with neighbors and ask questions. You can always come to this forum to ask a question or read the questions others ask.

14. cowfarmer

cowfarmer New Member

I halve to wait to get the calves couldn't find a place to keep them but it might yet work out

15. cowfarmer

cowfarmer New Member

What do you think is a good price for a 3 month old heifer I say $500

16. redneckgurl_13

redneckgurl_13 New Member

I'm buying a Holstein/jersey cross heifer for $400 and she's a bottle calf so I'd say that's probably a fairly good price here in Missouri..idk about where you live