Cattle Forum - Your Online Cattle Resource and Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you don’t have money to throw away stay clear... lol. But it’s something I love. Granted I’ve been around cows all my life but I’m first generation cow raiser. I ain’t gonna say rancher cause I feel like a ranch is several hundred acres and all the equipment needed. It’s tough getting into it cause of all the stuff to do build buy etc. on a serious note it helps with taxes ALOT! Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you don’t have money to throw away stay clear... lol. But it’s something I love. Granted I’ve been around cows all my life but I’m first generation cow raiser. I ain’t gonna say rancher cause I feel like a ranch is several hundred acres and all the equipment needed. It’s tough getting into it cause of all the stuff to do build buy etc. on a serious note it helps with taxes ALOT! Good luck.
thanks Clintock i want to know that what kind of food you give to cows that they easily digestive or i want to know one more thing from you? you have life aged experience in this field is salt lick is good or animal health or not?

·
Registered
5 Posts
They’ll need more than just salt. Depending on what they’re eating. I do not know all that. I keep mine on vms mineral year round and when I move them to well fertilized rye grass I start them on a high mag mineral. Vms has salt. So does the high mag. Vms has worked for me my step dad my step brother and most everyone in my area. But take into consideration each region will have more or less of a mineral a cow needs. I’m in the southeastern US. Grass grows well here. I feed different feeds throughout the year. Some folks don’t like hotfeed. I like it to slick up calves. Mostly I feed a blend of soybean hull pellets, cracked corn, cottonseed hull. Add cottonseed meal to slick em up. It will make them eat just about anything they can reach. Other times it’s soybean hull pellets, cracked corn, and corn gluten. All depends on the price at that moment. Without a doubt others here know a heck of a lot more than me about cows. See what they say.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh thanks for the information Clintock its very very help full for me. I will find it more to search on this.one thing i want to tell you about animal licking salt products actually its very effective remedy now days for animals mostly people use this in cattle farming.so i just think that i want to tell you so it will help you for your animal health.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Quarter Horse x Appy mare
113 Posts
hi people i am new here i want to know about your experince in cattle farming.i am intrested in this work.so kindly just guide me about cattle farming.this will help me to grow up my work.thank you.
edwardwang
Sorry just seein' this. Yup @Clintock gave you the rundown
But to add on to his first reply, I would say be prepared to invest in good machinery, equipment, hired hands, and such.
You get what you pay for, that is for sure! It will take a long while to get into the position where you are finally MAKING money, unless of course you inherit the land and equipment.

BIG BIG points:
-Write things down. Statistics. Calculate numbers. Calculate income from other places (part-time job, wife's income, selling anything on the side, etc.)
Keep extra capital off to the side for emergencies. They will always happen when you least expect it.

-Horses:
feel free to ask me any questions about cow ponies, born with 'em, grew up with 'em, raised my kids with 'em, live with 'em ;). Horses are a big part of cattle ranching, a lot of modern people think like this: "Oh-I-want-to-be-a-homesteader-but-I-am-against-horse-riding" Yup it's unbelievable but happening. These people will start using side-by-sides or ATV type things like Polaris instead of a good old horse.

-start small! Buy a few good bred heifers from here, another few from a different seller, and maybe a couple cow-calf pairs. Try to learn as much as you can in the next year about bulls, bull-handling, how to be safe around bulls. Or you could just pull a stint like any ol' ******* and go out and buy a bull! LOL

That's all for now, I will add more to this thread as I think, but here ya go!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I found a nice little reg angus bull for a decent price. Had a Holstein I was gonna use for nurse cow. 12-13 month old angus serviced the Holstein. Lol. That was last July. He’s 20 months now and is filling out pretty good. Still short. Prolly always will be. Named fireball. In the pasture as long as you feeding him you can touch him. Get him in the chute and hence the name. He’s in the middle. Bred Holstein on right.(due in april) She’s on downhill side and he’s 18 months in that pic. Bought a nice little herd last week of Herefords. 2 reg that’s been AI’d and the rest been in pasture with bull since December. Hoping I get some black white face baldies with him and the Herefords.

·
Registered
7 Posts
-Horses:
feel free to ask me any questions about cow ponies, born with 'em, grew up with 'em, raised my kids with 'em, live with 'em ;). Horses are a big part of cattle ranching, a lot of modern people think like this: "Oh-I-want-to-be-a-homesteader-but-I-am-against-horse-riding" Yup it's unbelievable but happening. These people will start using side-by-sides or ATV type things like Polaris instead of a good old horse.
I learned to ride early, and loved it. When I was 8 years of age I was helping my older brother mustering sheep on his cattle/sheep/wheat ranch. I was riding a pony and it knew a lot better than I did what to do. I was on a ridge, and my brother below in a shallow gully when a ram broke away, heading up the side of the ridge.

The pony started to gallop and we were gaining on the ram when the pony went under an overhanging branch. The pony knew he would fit under, but the branch would have wiped me off the saddle, so I threw myself sideways, holding tight to the pommel, with my leg across the saddle. Both of us fitted under the branch!

He was a great pony, and was bomb-proof. My brother and I rode around the 1600 acre ranch, shooting rabbits while still on horseback, and his mare and my pony didn't even flinch. There was a rabbit plague at the time.

Regards, Bullshirt.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Quarter Horse x Appy mare
113 Posts
I learned to ride early, and loved it. When I was 8 years of age I was helping my older brother mustering sheep on his cattle/sheep/wheat ranch. I was riding a pony and it knew a lot better than I did what to do. I was on a ridge, and my brother below in a shallow gully when a ram broke away, heading up the side of the ridge.

The pony started to gallop and we were gaining on the ram when the pony went under an overhanging branch. The pony knew he would fit under, but the branch would have wiped me off the saddle, so I threw myself sideways, holding tight to the pommel, with my leg across the saddle. Both of us fitted under the branch!

He was a great pony, and was bomb-proof. My brother and I rode around the 1600 acre ranch, shooting rabbits while still on horseback, and his mare and my pony didn't even flinch. There was a rabbit plague at the time.

Regards, Bullshirt.
Sounds like one great cowpony! What a great story!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts